Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tad's Trip

theregoes2
Protege
Video of version updated as of March 11, 2015

***Version Updated 11:19 pm EST Jan 14***

**Okay, I have no idea how to embed this video. So, I guess click the link.

I'm told that adding a video will make people more comfortable with giving this a shot. Sorry about that. As I say, I'm new. This video is the most recent that I have but it will give you an idea what is going on. One difference is I have moved the camera behind the tic tac that will one day be a frog (if I ever figure out #$%#^ animation.)

This is a super early version of the game that I'm working on called Tad's Trip. Eventually the capsule that you are controlling in this demo will be a frog named Tad who started out life as a tadpole in a fishbowl and always thought he was a fish until he sprouted legs and his goldfish mentor told him the truth, then died. Now Tad wants to find his home swamp and find out what it means to be a frog. That makes it sound deeper than it is. If I am successful it should be a pretty funny game. The game idea came after really wanting to play Lucky's Tale and getting impatient. This is probably not going to be an adequate substitute (and certainly isn't now), but I'm enjoying it. (If I fail as a game designer I'm thinking of being a salesman.)

I am brand new to this, prior to May of 2014 the extent of my programming was basic HTML and CSS, I had never used a game engine and I had never heard of Blender. I am loving the learning process though and just want to show what I'm doing because very few people I show it to are gamers even fewer of them have a Rift to play it on (these people see videos only.) It's unlikely that I will bring anything new to VR, but hopefully I can bring some fun to it.

Anyway, enough jibba jabba, here's the goods. I've also never shared anything on Google Drive before, so hopefully this works.

Music is by megawolf77

UPDATED: This shows some progress that I've made. It is a lot more game like now. Let me know what you think! (I suggest using the Xbox controller as the mouse seems crazy sensitive and might make you sick.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5CICn ... sp=sharing

UPDATED AGAIN (MARCH 11, 2015): See how much has changed
Ordered: June 4th Status: Strapped to my ugly mug ON, Canada
35 REPLIES 35

andrewtek
Expert Protege
My first 3rd person VR camera RIG in UE4 was a disaster. I did not initialize it correctly so as I would rotate my head, the camera would fly around my pawn. I fixed it quickly enough, but it was definitely not the ideal setup :D.

theregoes2
Protege
I was going to wait until I had more of the level completed to let people play it, but you asked how it works in the Rift and it's easier to just let you try it than talk about it (and getting reactions from people who also love VR is nice too.) It isn't perfect, I'll tell you that much. One problem I have is with the camera on loading, it sometimes goes wonky. I don't know why, but if I turn my head to the right until the warning screen goes away, it's fine, so if the camera seems wrong for you, try that .

There isn't a goal or enemies yet, but you can still run and jump around.

theregoes2
Protege
I've updated the demo on the first page and the post above this one. I had put up a link a few days ago but I just clicked on it and it told me the file didn't exist, so I put a new link and hopefully this one works. :?

theregoes2
Protege
Hey guys, this is the last post I'll make until I have something more to show, but I was just curious if anyone grabbed the new demo I out up? If so, what do you think?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Very sorry, but the demo is not that comfortable. It seemed like the roll wasn't level (i.e. the horizon was shifted) and this made me uneasy. The mouse controls were also strange and I don't think that's a good direction. However, it still was nice considering it's one of the first games you've made. You'll just need to spend some more time to make it comfortable.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

theregoes2
Protege
Oh, I play it with an Xbox 360 controller and don't have an issue with it that way, but yeah I plan on the camera being completely overhauled as soon as I figure out how. Maybe that's where I'll focus my energy so my demos don't make people yark.