cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testers needed for Sketchup VR visualization software

Jyakku
Honored Guest
Hi everyone!

My name is Jack and I'm a programmer at IrisVR, a company developing software that lets architects and designers create VR walkthroughs from their native Sketchup files in one click (with plans to roll in other modeling software/file formats in the future).

Right now we're in an early access phase where user feedback is invaluable and we're looking for testers that have DK2s and some Sketchup experience, or at least a Sketchup file on hand that you want to walk around in. If this sounds right up your alley, let us know who you are and what your rig is like over at app.irisvr.com. Below is a screenshot of our app running an SKP model of Manhattan that I downloaded from the Sketchup warehouse, with our toggleable navigation/information GUI positioned on the right side of the view.

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 11.21.35 AM.png

If anyone has any questions about our application, I'd be happy to answer them!
23 REPLIES 23

cerulianbaloo
Honored Guest
Kind of off topic but are you the same IrisVR that makes Technolust? If not I'd imagine either party would want to sort that out for proper brand recognition going forwards.

On topic I'd like to participate but unfortunately have no sketchup experience.

Jyakku
Honored Guest
We're not the same, but we'd love to meet the team over at Iris Productions one day and share a beer. 🙂

If you don't have Sketchup experience, you can still sign up for our app and download files from the Sketchup warehouse to try out; Sketchup is also one of the easiest modeling programs, so it could be an excuse to check out some tutorials and model a small VR house of your own!

JaggerWolf
Expert Protege
Signed up yesterday - any idea when new testers will be let in?

Ashles
Protege
This sounds really interesting.

Would there be a possibility to output easily and quickly to the Gear VR for simple models? (Ironically this is something I was wishing for just this morning to be able to explore and show to someone a simple model I have created in Sketchup)
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

darkiq
Honored Guest
I would be very interested in testing out your software. Most of my clients work with Revit, but I think a few might use sketch up, and i have a dk2 😄

RDredesign
Honored Guest
I'd been testing today using some of the basic sketchup models my wife made for ambient redesign to show to clients, and it works great! Even my wife that is really skeptical about VR, got excited about the implications.
Fast and easy to use!

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
So am I to understand your software adds collision to the model (allowing things like the ability to go up steps naturally) as well as a controllable camera? Wow, excited to see that in Sketchup and I hope you expand it soon. This has been something I've wanted to have for awhile, make a model of a house and just have navigation work as I would expect it to. Unfortunately I lack a DK2, but I'm very intrigued to hear more about this.

Sharkku
Protege
This sounds very interesting! I'd be very happy to help test it! My experience with sketchup is only as a hobbyist, I've modeled my local airport for Flight Simulator X for instance.
DK1 - previously owned DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24) CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day) Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)

Jyakku
Honored Guest
"JaggerWolf" wrote:
Signed up yesterday - any idea when new testers will be let in?

Right now we're developing the app based on the feedback that our current testers have provided, and as that feedback starts to dwindle we'll open up the bandwidth to more testers. Sorry I can't give a more specific answer; it's largely based on what suggested features we get and how long it takes us to implement them.

"Ashles" wrote:
This sounds really interesting.

Would there be a possibility to output easily and quickly to the Gear VR for simple models? (Ironically this is something I was wishing for just this morning to be able to explore and show to someone a simple model I have created in Sketchup)

We've been developing for the GearVR in-house, but as of right now it's not tied to our main application. We will definitely be tying in our application with the GearVR in some way (possibly as a slimmed down viewer) but exactly what that way will be is still being worked on.

"darkiq" wrote:
I would be very interested in testing out your software. Most of my clients work with Revit, but I think a few might use sketch up, and i have a dk2 😄

Great to hear! If you haven't already, make an account at app.irisvr.com and we'll send you a token as soon as a spot opens up. 🙂

"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
So am I to understand your software adds collision to the model (allowing things like the ability to go up steps naturally) as well as a controllable camera? Wow, excited to see that in Sketchup and I hope you expand it soon. This has been something I've wanted to have for awhile, make a model of a house and just have navigation work as I would expect it to. Unfortunately I lack a DK2, but I'm very intrigued to hear more about this.

Yes! We add physics including collision, gravity, and natural stair stepping. The user also has the ability to toggle these off with flight mode and ghost mode, however, which can be handy for navigating large/complex models quickly.

"Sharkku" wrote:
This sounds very interesting! I'd be very happy to help test it! My experience with sketchup is only as a hobbyist, I've modeled my local airport for Flight Simulator X for instance.

We want to support hobbyists as well; absolutely make an account on our site and we'll let you know when there's a place open.