cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Climb $25 on 24-hour sale

jayhawk
Superstar
Wow I'm pretty impressed with this game. It's kept me quite entertained and it feels the most triple A'ish so far. You can tell it's from a well established game dev company. If you own Touch and have good shoulders I recommend it!
14 REPLIES 14

Scyla
Honored Guest
Shoulders part is very true I had this before touch and already liked it finally tried it with touch last night after a long dnb session and I was beat after 1 climb

Mellzor
Protege
Okay, so I got this, but it feels all wrong.
When climbing / pulling up, it kinda feels more like I'm moving the world, instead of myself.
Like I'm moving the picture around in Oculus Medium / Quill

Not sure what is causing this feeling.

I will have another go tonight, and try to look at the sky while climbing up.
If the sky stays in the same place, maybe that will alleviate the feeling of pulling the world down instead of myself up.

Anyone else experience this ?!

It detracts 100% of the immersion and completely destroys the game for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone comment on the motion sickness with this game? The only game I've tried with the 'intense' rating was EVE and it still makes me feel motion sick really quickly.

loregnum
Adventurer

FrozenPea said:

Can anyone comment on the motion sickness with this game? The only game I've tried with the 'intense' rating was EVE and it still makes me feel motion sick really quickly.

I got this in the touch launch bundle and while I don't have my controllers yet, I did use it with the xbox game pad and was initially concerned about the rating given how easy it is for me to feel queasy in VR.

I can say that the game has been incredibly comfortable for me and I really don't know why it is rated intense unless it is factoring in people who may suffer from vertigo or a fear of heights. I was very happy I didn't have any issues and would be able to enjoy the game and for me, it has the 'comfortable' rating.

Great game too! I can't wait to play it with the touch controllers (that were pre ordered mid Oct) when they finally ship. I have put in a couple hours so far with the game pad.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Having played The Climb with both the gamepad and Touch, I can say I don't think motion sickness will be a factor. As suggested above, I think the intensity rating is about vertigo and fear of heights. I suppose falling might give some people a lurch in the stomach, but it's pretty momentary.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Mellzor
Protege
I'll say it again.
Touch is NOTHING like the controller.

With touch you move the world around you.
It kinda feels like the world is a balloon you can stick to your belly and push it down.

Touch takes away ALL the immersion.

You don't get motion sick, because you dont move.

I can't believe no-one is mentioning the weird ass feeling with Touch + the Climb.

Anyhow; motion sickness - Will be there if you use controller, and game will be the best and most immersive playing this way.

With touch there is no motion and all sense of movement, height en size are gone.

so sad panda  :'(

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Mellzor said:

I'll say it again.
Touch is NOTHING like the controller.

With touch you move the world around you.
It kinda feels like the world is a balloon you can stick to your belly and push it down.

Touch takes away ALL the immersion.

You don't get motion sick, because you dont move.

I can't believe no-one is mentioning the weird ass feeling with Touch + the Climb.

Anyhow; motion sickness - Will be there if you use controller, and game will be the best and most immersive playing this way.

With touch there is no motion and all sense of movement, height en size are gone.

Well, I don't know how else you would expect it to work with Touch... as you move your hands, you're moving your body relative to the world. Since the game can't move your physical body, the world moves relative to you. The exact same thing happens when you play with a gamepad, except you don't control your movement as much. You grab a grip and the game pulls you to it--or more accurately, pulls the world to align to your body at the new grip point.

Maybe you'll have less a sense of the world moving while you stay still if you look around more?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

Mellzor said:

Okay, so I got this, but it feels all wrong.
When climbing / pulling up, it kinda feels more like I'm moving the world, instead of myself.
Like I'm moving the picture around in Oculus Medium / Quill

Not sure what is causing this feeling.

I will have another go tonight, and try to look at the sky while climbing up.
If the sky stays in the same place, maybe that will alleviate the feeling of pulling the world down instead of myself up.

Anyone else experience this ?!

It detracts 100% of the immersion and completely destroys the game for me.

I never got that feeling, I just hope you haven't tainted me somehow now.

I do get some VR sickness or motion sickness what ever its called. from playing the climb, but mainly from falling, which causes some VR sickness for me, not a lot though.

Mellzor
Protege
Actually not moving makes the issue worse for me.

The only way I can get a little bit over the feeling, is completely trying to immerse myself and fantasize that I'm really moving my legs and such.

Perhaps the character is too static when it moves.
Maybe it needs some more cam shaking or something.

Its just strange, that when the experience is more immersive, its actually less immersive.
The climb Touch needs foot motion controls as well for it to work.

For now I think I will just force myself to keep my arms high, and not "pull myself" up further then my chest.
And stand on my toes, and just move a leg around abit when I'm climbing, and try to look at surroundings / sky a lot more.