cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Room [WIP]

Anticleric
Expert Protege
Just a demo I threw together to learn Unity.
I was inspired to create something cool after seeing Blocked In. I also just finished reading Ready Player One and wanted to create my own "private chat room".

It contains various models pillaged from the internet and free unity assets as well as some of my Second Life builds.
(Credit to William Burke for his various rift related models)
It has lots of particles and sounds, with fully baked lighting etc.

Press the right mouse button to start the video on the flat screen T.V.

Can you find all of the Easter eggs?

Windows 32 bit http://www.mediafire.com/download/5w49obd7fvv81xd/The_Room_PC_32_bit.zip

Windows 64 Bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/znu9trxqcobrob3/The_Room_PC_64_bit.zip

Linux Universal http://www.mediafire.com/download/6zy1rcwpjow8cbg/The_Room_Linux_universal.rar
48 REPLIES 48

VRoom
Honored Guest
32-bit pleeeease? 🙂

drash
Heroic Explorer
Threw it together eh? Pretty good stuff! 🙂

Really drives home the point that details and lighting are king in VR. I can see a lot of references in this room, many of them I get, but not all.
What is the trash can from? The one that says Madison on the side.
Nice work! 🙂

I'm a little curious about what you're doing in this demo, as I felt a little bit more latency than usual, and for me personally wasn't entirely comfortable to look around freely. I don't know if it's related to it being a 64-bit build (which is rare around here), or if you've didn't set up the rift camera rig to grab orientation in Pre-Render, or if you've got something else fancy going on?
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Anticleric
Expert Protege
Added 32 bit build.

Thanks drash. High praise coming from the creator of the best demo currently available. Titans is what I use to show off the rift to first timers.

Not sure where the garbage can is from. Grabbed the model off of the internet. The only things I made were the Zombie barrels the bookshelves, the Haloween 3 tv, Speak & Spell and the training dummy. As I said, I pillaged a lot.

Nothing too fancy going on. I get 60 fps.. my machine is a beast though. Maybe too much geometry, maybe too many particles?

Not sure how to set the rift to orient in pre-render as opposed to whatever the default player camera does.

If anyone else is having latency issues, please let me know.

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
Nice demo, love all the dust motes floating about and the rather eclectic collection of objects 🙂

I'm getting a bit of lag as well though. It's only slight, but it is noticeable. I loaded Fraps, and I'm getting a solid 60fps, but even so for some reason it doesn't feel perfectly smooth.
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

DarkAkuma
Explorer
lol. Sorry...

When I see the title of this, I can't help but think of this being turned into a VR experience and think "Oh god no!" and start trying to think of the closest tall building to jump off of.
Project: Ocarina - The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time in VR @DarkAkuma_ - Twitter http://darkakuma.z-net.us/ - My Blog http://www.z-net.us/ - SNES Online Gaming

Anticleric
Expert Protege
Haha.. ya. Kind of a working title. Was better than "Unity test".

in the OVRplayerConreoller script there are settings for "dampening"
Could this affect the feeling of slowness being reported? Everything is currently set at the default levels.

drash
Heroic Explorer
At first I thought this was going to be a Rift version of the Unity-made iOS game called The Room. Anyway... 🙂

"Anticleric" wrote:
in the OVRplayerConreoller script there are settings for "dampening"
Could this affect the feeling of slowness being reported? Everything is currently set at the default levels.

Pretty sure that's not it. The "slowness" aka latency is the delay between looking around with the head and actually seeing the view catch up. The framerate is just fine, moving around is fine too.

I wasn't able to get the Oculus Latency Tester to work with this demo, which is odd -- either you're using a brand new version of the Unity integration that happens to be broken (I have tried 0.2.5, but not 0.2.5c), or you're using an odd image effect and/or shader(s) that are preventing the black/white square from flashing for the latency tester. Maybe that's a clue as to where the latency is coming from. Are you using some kind of screenspace reflection or GI effect?
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Anticleric
Expert Protege
No crazy effects that I can think of. I did switch it to DirectX 11 and I have a small JavaScript to switch the offset on the flashing t.v. texture. Other than that it's got a crap load of lightmaps.

I'll dig through the scene and try to optimize it tonight, see it that helps.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Anticleric
Expert Protege
I went to see what you were talking about and you were right.
There was just lag on the head tracking. FPS was fine, movement was fine. I turned off directX 11, and it appears to have cleared up.

Can anyone confirm that directX 11 unity projects have head tracking lag?

Anyhoo.. just updated the files, also added Linux and MAC version. Links in the OP.
Also, now when you click fire2 a movie plays on the T.V.