cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Room [WIP]

Anticleric
Expert Protege
Just a demo I threw together to learn Unity.
I was inspired to create something cool after seeing Blocked In. I also just finished reading Ready Player One and wanted to create my own "private chat room".

It contains various models pillaged from the internet and free unity assets as well as some of my Second Life builds.
(Credit to William Burke for his various rift related models)
It has lots of particles and sounds, with fully baked lighting etc.

Press the right mouse button to start the video on the flat screen T.V.

Can you find all of the Easter eggs?

Windows 32 bit http://www.mediafire.com/download/5w49obd7fvv81xd/The_Room_PC_32_bit.zip

Windows 64 Bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/znu9trxqcobrob3/The_Room_PC_64_bit.zip

Linux Universal http://www.mediafire.com/download/6zy1rcwpjow8cbg/The_Room_Linux_universal.rar
48 REPLIES 48

FictionX
Honored Guest
This one is crazy good!!! Man.. I got goosebumps! I feel I can reach out and touch every single item in the room. So many amazing objects. The strap on the Rifts for some reason blew me away. They just look real!

The xbox controllers are perhaps a little to big... but I forgive You 😉 That's the only thing that I noticed was "wrong-ish".

- and I didn't even have to ask for a Linux version... I think I'm gonna cry! 😉 Thanks a lot for the experience.. I think it'll replace the Tuscany demo as the first demo I'm gonna show guests.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"Anticleric" wrote:
I turned off directX 11, and it appears to have cleared up.

Can anyone confirm that directX 11 unity projects have head tracking lag?

Just tried the update you posted. Works GREAT now. Really had a blast going through the room this time. Also noticed a few nice changes and details from the first time around. Thanks for figuring it out! 🙂

I tried enabling DirectX11 on one or two of my own Rift projects and it didn't seem to make a difference w/ latency, so I'm pretty curious what the deal was.

In any case, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think DirectX11 prevents it from working on Macs? (Couldn't find a straight answer on the interwebs for the more recent Macs/MacOS)
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"FictionX" wrote:
This one is crazy good!!! Man.. I got goosebumps! I feel I can reach out and touch every single item in the room. So many amazing objects. The strap on the Rifts for some reason blew me away. They just look real!

The xbox controllers are perhaps a little to big... but I forgive You 😉 That's the only thing that I noticed was "wrong-ish".

- and I didn't even have to ask for a Linux version... I think I'm gonna cry! 😉 Thanks a lot for the experience.. I think it'll replace the Tuscany demo as the first demo I'm gonna show guests.

Thanks 😄
I was going for hyper-realism. Just finished reading Ready Player One and wanted to build my own private chat room that I could hang out in. If anyone wants to help out, would love to have the ability to load videos on the TV from a hard drive. Maybe even ad a radio for mp3s, e-books for the shelves, and maybe even multiplayer (if we're want to be really ambitions).

Glad you like it so far 🙂

Oh! And to be fair, the flies are a bit big also. :lol:

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"drash" wrote:

Just tried the update you posted. Works GREAT now. Really had a blast going through the room this time. Also noticed a few nice changes and details from the first time around. Thanks for figuring it out! 🙂

Yes! Praise! That's what I live for. lol
So glad you like it.

"drash" wrote:

I tried enabling DirectX11 on one or two of my own Rift projects and it didn't seem to make a difference w/ latency, so I'm pretty curious what the deal was.

In any case, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think DirectX11 prevents it from working on Macs? (Couldn't find a straight answer on the interwebs for the more recent Macs/MacOS)

Hmm, not sure about that. I disabled DirectX11 before I exported the new round (as it fixed the head lag). I don't have a Mac on hand to test. Unity lets me export for Mac with DirectX11 checked on in the player settings though.

VRoom
Honored Guest
Wow, this was lovely! While graphicaly not quite as polished/coherent as Blocked In, it was really impressive!
It's so rewarding to have richly detailed world in VR. Watching video on TV in updated demo, I noticed my brains made a switch and I really got a feeling I'm looking in another world and not just computer generated imagery. It was so spontaneous, that it caught me off guard and left me with a big grin on my face 😄
3d is great and all those little details and objects really stand out (Oculus Rift model was so realistic!). Kept wishing for positional tracking to lean forward and look up close some of the objects.
Oh, and dust particles and especially flys were amazing! 🙂

Nukemarine
Rising Star
Great demo. At first I thought it'd be like Blocked In where you can't move but was pleasantly surprised. It's much more fun to experience standing up, that's for sure. I'm tempted to add it and Blocked In to my favorites folder which I use when I demo to people. This is simple and would bring on the nostalgia for the older crowd that might be hesitant toward VR.

edit: Ah, just tried the new build. The TV preview was cool but there doesn't seem to be a replay option. The collision with the book cases are off so you can walk into them. Thanks for not making the zombie or half dog move by the way. Again, great job.

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"VRoom" wrote:
Watching video on TV in updated demo, I noticed my brains made a switch and I really got a feeling I'm looking in another world and not just computer generated imagery. It was so spontaneous, that it caught me off guard and left me with a big grin on my face

lol.. same thing happened to me. I was just mezmerized by the trailer for a second.. then I was like "Wow... I'm in the Rift".
Tripped me out.

"nukemarine" wrote:
The TV preview was cool but there doesn't seem to be a replay option. The collision with the book cases are off so you can walk into them.

Ya.. the replay thing bugs me too. I'm really just figuring unity out right now. Ideally I would like the option for users to load movies.

I fixed the book case collision, but I'm not going to put a new build up for it. I'll wait till there is more to show off.

"nukemarine" wrote:
Thanks for not making the zombie or half dog move by the way. Again, great job.

Yet*
And thanks 🙂

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
Runs great now 🙂 One thing I noticed is how much those flies cause me to flinch if they suddenly get in my field of view (which given how long I've had my Rift now actually surprised me)! It might be cool to have a random 'invasion of the flies". I imagine it might give rise to some amusing YouTube videos for those of a squeamish disposition...
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

Nukemarine
Rising Star
"Anticleric" wrote:

Ya.. the replay thing bugs me too. I'm really just figuring unity out right now. Ideally I would like the option for users to load movies.

I'm kind of surprised people haven't made other attempts at putting television shows and games into demos. Alone showed in a horror setting that playing a game in the game help in the immersion. So like in Blocked In there could have been a Tetris mini-game inside the game. For your demo, given the Ready Player One inspiration it'd be interesting if a Joust like game could be played on an arcade cabinet and maybe with an optional wizard opponent showing up.

Anyway, I would love to see user load movies or maybe a YouTube stream (or whatever video service we're moving to in protest of YouTube's current anti-content creator policies). Looking forward to other "room experiences" like this now.

supernova
Honored Guest
Liked the Halloween 3 TV , my lens came loose and started touching my eye I thought it was a giant centipede 😮