cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Room [WIP]

Anticleric
Expert Protege
Just a demo I threw together to learn Unity.
I was inspired to create something cool after seeing Blocked In. I also just finished reading Ready Player One and wanted to create my own "private chat room".

It contains various models pillaged from the internet and free unity assets as well as some of my Second Life builds.
(Credit to William Burke for his various rift related models)
It has lots of particles and sounds, with fully baked lighting etc.

Press the right mouse button to start the video on the flat screen T.V.

Can you find all of the Easter eggs?

Windows 32 bit http://www.mediafire.com/download/5w49obd7fvv81xd/The_Room_PC_32_bit.zip

Windows 64 Bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/znu9trxqcobrob3/The_Room_PC_64_bit.zip

Linux Universal http://www.mediafire.com/download/6zy1rcwpjow8cbg/The_Room_Linux_universal.rar
48 REPLIES 48

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"supernova" wrote:
Liked the Halloween 3 TV , my lens came loose and started touching my eye I thought it was a giant centipede 😮

Lol. Just glad someone got the reference.

Hmm centipedes... good idea. Maybe I'll trigger one.

Nukemarine
Rising Star
"Anticleric" wrote:
"supernova" wrote:
Liked the Halloween 3 TV , my lens came loose and started touching my eye I thought it was a giant centipede 😮

Lol. Just glad someone got the reference.

Hmm centipedes... good idea. Maybe I'll trigger one.

Asunder did the black out the right eye to simulate eye damage. Are you thinking about having a bug crawl across one of our eyes?

Out of interest, think there can be a short cut code option to add a human avatar for us? Something like "-maleavatar" or "-femaleavatar" and have the avatar standing up holding an XBox controller? Hell, make it an avatar like Freddy or Jason or some other iconic 80's character that's freely available. Always enjoy seeing a body when I look down.

Anticleric
Expert Protege
Well, I've spent the last 7 hours or so going through forums, reading about everything from a GUI to load streams to connecting avatars to the rift camera, and my conclusion is this:

Code hurts my brain.

There are a lot of things I would love to implement in this demo, but the truth is I'm more of a designer / artist than a programmer. I really need some help when it comes to coding things. Unless I can copy and paste something I find on the internet and hack the functionality I need out of it, it's probably not going to happen. If someone who is an awesome JS/C# programmer wants to team up, we will see. Failing that, I might just make a few other small art demos until my unity license expires 😛

If I get struck my a gamma ray burst and become some sort of mutant super programmer over-night, things will get serious.
But it's more likely that a gamma ray bust would destroy myself, the Rift and everyone else on the planet. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. haha

Tamulur
Explorer
"Anticleric" wrote:
Can anyone confirm that directX 11 unity projects have head tracking lag?

I have the same problem. There is significant head "inertia" when using DirectX 11 in my project, to the point that I cannot play for more than just a minute or so. The framerate is not affected. The scene has just the basic Diffuse/Bump/Transparent shaders, no special DirectX 11 effects. I haven't spent a lot of time investigating this, for now I just disabled DirectX 11.

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"Tamulur" wrote:
"Anticleric" wrote:
Can anyone confirm that directX 11 unity projects have head tracking lag?

I have the same problem. There is significant head "inertia" when using DirectX 11 in my project, to the point that I cannot play for more than just a minute or so. The framerate is not affected. The scene has just the basic Diffuse/Bump/Transparent shaders, no special DirectX 11 effects. I haven't spent a lot of time investigating this, for now I just disabled DirectX 11.

I can also confirm this 100% (In Unity anyway).
I created a super basic project and tested it. With DirectX 11 checked on, barf mode, with DirectX 11 unchecked, smooth as glass.

I'm going to drop a message to the creator of Museum of the Microstar. Pretty sure it's the reason I can't get through it.

ATomasik
Protege
Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

:cry:

Ringo7
Honored Guest
"ATomasik" wrote:
Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

:cry:

Still have the error here too. 😞 Hoping to check out this demo as soon as the download page comes back online.

Anticleric
Expert Protege
Should be fixed. (for now)
I need to find a better place to upload. Dropbox got angry because of bandwidth.
Anyone have a suggestion?

drash
Heroic Explorer
"Anticleric" wrote:
Should be fixed. (for now)
I need to find a better place to upload. Dropbox got angry because of bandwidth.
Anyone have a suggestion?

After trying out DropBox, Mega, and others, I have to say I like adrive.com very much. I think I was on a grandfathered free plan for a while though, but basically with the entry level paid plan they have, you can host a ton of files at what seems like unlimited bandwidth at really fast download speeds, without bombarding the user with ads or making them jump through hoops. Plus you can manage your uploaded files and whether they're shared or not, put passwords/expiration dates on them, and see how many times they've been downloaded.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

360FOV
Honored Guest
When I heard the song I thought it was a reference to the Halloween movie but in the movie they were always doing a countdown - 3 more days to Halloween, 2 more days to Halloween, and so on. So no count down left me a little confused. :lol:
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"