cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Room [WIP]

Anticleric
Level 5
Just a demo I threw together to learn Unity.
I was inspired to create something cool after seeing Blocked In. I also just finished reading Ready Player One and wanted to create my own "private chat room".

It contains various models pillaged from the internet and free unity assets as well as some of my Second Life builds.
(Credit to William Burke for his various rift related models)
It has lots of particles and sounds, with fully baked lighting etc.

Press the right mouse button to start the video on the flat screen T.V.

Can you find all of the Easter eggs?

Windows 32 bit http://www.mediafire.com/download/5w49obd7fvv81xd/The_Room_PC_32_bit.zip

Windows 64 Bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/znu9trxqcobrob3/The_Room_PC_64_bit.zip

Linux Universal http://www.mediafire.com/download/6zy1rcwpjow8cbg/The_Room_Linux_universal.rar
48 REPLIES 48

Rob1985
Level 2
"happy happy halloween." H3 is one of me old fav horror films. Good tech demo!

jasonatokc
Level 2
Great demo. Runs smooth on my R9 290X .

Ganjaroach
Level 3

I really enjoyed this tech demo a lot and will definitely be showing this one to my friends. If this had the ability to change the show on the TV and had multiplayer it would be a nice hang out for us! I haven't really seen to many multiplayer rift games yet so this would be a great one to have it. Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

Anticleric
Level 5
"ganjaroach" wrote:

I really enjoyed this tech demo a lot and will definitely be showing this one to my friends. If this had the ability to change the show on the TV and had multiplayer it would be a nice hang out for us! I haven't really seen to many multiplayer rift games yet so this would be a great one to have it. Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

Thanks man. I enjoyed making it. I'm without power after a crazy ice storm, but once I'm back in action multiplayer and loading media are a priority.

DeepRifter
Level 2
Really enjoyed this. The flies were realistic enough that I found myself keeping my mouth tightly shut!

Anonymous
Not applicable
The dust and flies really added a subtle depth and realism to the entire experience 😄 I found myself wanting to pick things up, as should be expected hehe. I am used to playing HL2 with fast running and spinning around like nuts, but the slow spinning pressing Q or E in this room had me feel odd 😛 interesting.

Nukemarine
Level 8
How difficult would it be to include a SNES or Genesis emulator to play on the large screen tv in The Room? So far the only Game within a Game experience has been with Alone. The only SNES emulator for VR at the moment is has a cheesy room environment. I'd love to see what it'd feel like to play a SNES game inside The Room. Something tells me it'd be an addictive feeling.

Ganjaroach
Level 3
"nukemarine" wrote:
How difficult would it be to include a SNES or Genesis emulator to play on the large screen tv in The Room? So far the only Game within a Game experience has been with Alone. The only SNES emulator for VR at the moment is has a cheesy room environment. I'd love to see what it'd feel like to play a SNES game inside The Room. Something tells me it'd be an addictive feeling.

That would be so damn epic! The snes emulator was a cool start but playing it on the tv in side the room would just be incredible!

Anticleric
Level 5
Well.. the game plan is this:

Now that I have building environments figured out, I would like to add some functionality. Not in this exact room. But something with similar aesthetic appeal anyway.

Ideally, we would have:
Multiplayer (with custom avatars)
The ability to load all kinds of media. (Movies/ emulators on the T.V., MP3s on a radio, maybe e-books and websites as well)
Netflix and Youtube would also be amazing in the long run.
Custom GUI ala Riftmax theater.
Object interactions, etc. etc.

I could go on forever.
The issue is finding a good programmer that can work in unity.
I'm really a high concept / designer / artist. I spoke with my boss (I work for a film production company) and he said that the most we could do to start is pay someone a salary of 15k, so, I'm on the hunt.

There is also a small chance that Oculus will help fund some indie teams of their concepts are worth while.

The Room concept is just one of many that I have.
If anyone is interested in working for cheap / free, with the hopes that we can get a Steam greenlight, Oculus help or a kickstarter for some sweet sweet cash, drop me a PM.

I'm currently working with someone from the forums on his top-secret project, but it would be nice to flesh out a few more concepts and get in on the ground floor before the launch.

mephisto8
Level 2
Hey there. Have tried downloading and running the Mac version a couple of times (about two weeks ago, and just now) but both times got an error message that the zip file is damaged/incomplete. Not sure if you've heard this from other Mac users?