cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The rift on a benefit for my autistic son

Famousraptor
Honored Guest

Hi all,

I have a son that has a form of autism, he is 8 years physically and 2 years mentally. To help and stimulate his mental development, we are planning to go to curacao and follow a dolphin based therapy. This costs a lot of money.

In order to gather some funds, we are holding a small benefit with a lot of food! One of the idea's is that I want to use the Oculus Rift on the benefit. I was thinking of holding 15 minutes sessions and have sever choices for the player to choose from.

1. Robo Recall

2. Toybox

3. Beat Saber

I was wondering if anyone else might have some good suggestions about other games I could use, hygienic based advice or any other practical tips. There are probably a lot of things I still haven't thought about, any (constructive :P) input would be appreciated.

If you want to know more about the goals, visit the following link!
https://nl.dreamordonate.com/dromen/met-avinash-naar-de-dolfijnen/

ps. I am not a native english speaker(I am dutch), my apologies if you spot errors!

8 REPLIES 8

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I wouldn't bother with Toybox, I think the original Oculus Touch demo is the 1st thing anyone should try when they go into VR for the first time:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1217155751659625/
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

sford52
Heroic Explorer
Ahh differing opinions, gotta love it.  I think Toybox is a great choice, no story to get invested in, no complicated controls.  I think Jurassic World: Blue is fun to watch - for those folks who just want to see VR.  Google Earth is great IFF you have a good internet connection and you want a bit more of a user interface.  I certainly do agree the Oculus Touch demo is a lot of fun
Good luck with your benefit.
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

Anonymous
Not applicable
Go for TheBlu, it's a great experience and quite quick to run through.

GrumpySoldier
Protege
I'd have to say 'The Lab' would be a good choice. It's funny, has a bunch of different things to do, and it's free.

Whenever I demo my Rift to people, they almost always want to have a go on a roller coaster. There used to be some fantastic coasters developed for the DK2 but they don't seem to have been updated for the consumer Rift.

There is No Limits 2 though which contains a large selection of very detailed coasters. It's a program that's really been developed to allow you to design your own coasters and is missing the gloss and nice little intros, ambient sound effects like screams from your fellow coaster riders and other animated characters in the scene... but the coasters themselvess are amazing and great fun to ride.

Generally for demos to people who haven't tried VR before, I've found it's a good idea to have a few passive experiences that don't require the user to have to do too much.

Titan's of Space takes you on a ride through the solar system but takes a while, about 20 minutes I think.

1943 Blitz puts you in the passenger seat of a Lancaster bomber on a real bomb run recorded by the BBC at the time and lasts for about 13 minutes... and it's free! A few people have had a problem getting it to run though so give it a try.

Apollo 11 put you in a Saturn V and takes you to the moon. I think that was about 15-20 minutes if you choose the non-interactive option.

theBlu as Snowdog mentions is visually quite stunning for anyone new to VR.

and as the others have said the Oculus intro programs are perfect for newcomers. There are 2 programs, Dreamdeck introduces you to VR and doesn't involve the hand controls and there's First Contact which introduces people to the Touch controllers and is useful for people to try before any other hand-control type games.

If I was aiming the demo at a specific audience of teenagers, I may be tempted to have a racing simulator set up with steering wheel and pedals and just have that running and nothing else, as it can take a little time to set up get working properly. My nephews seem to want to do that more than anything else. But that's not suitable if you're going to have a broad range of people who just want to try stuff out!

Famousraptor
Honored Guest
Thanks for the feedback! I am going to search for theblu. Not sure if I want to do a rollercoaster. I want to differentiate from the simple 'phone in a vr headset' experience. Seeing your hands move gives that extra wow factor .

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I normally let people new to VR try First Contact - they are incredibly amazed every time, just like I was when trying First Contact the first time. First Contact has an average 94 % rating - it's the perfect way to introduce real VR.

Then I usual start up Lone Echo - if visitors really want to see what VR can provide. I usually stop after they've tried to throw the frisbee.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

ohgrant
Superstar
Apollo 11 VR and Mission ISS would be my choices. They instantly show the difference between just 360 range of view, and full range of motion. I would also second that it would be a good idea to have a rollercoaster sim and a flight sim like Flyinside, that you use the touch controllers like hands inside the game. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.