cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Crystal - Ready for launch, still looking for testers

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Hi all

I have started working on my second project now, this is currently pre aplha, working on mechanics for transporting from puzzle to puzzle and have completed a number of puzzles. Would be interested in hearing some feedback on the idea of Crystal Maze in VR and my short video below, note I set the timers to 30 seconds in two of the puzzles for the sake of length on the video.

https://youtu.be/pgBBnq6pSWQ

Game Name 
Undecided, currently calling it Crystal Labyrinth

Story Line
You are a treasure hunter in search of the mystic Time Crystal, once you touch it you are locked within its grasp, to prove you are worthy of holding the Time Crystal you must complete puzzles and finally collect enough power to escape by beating the Time Crystals Labyrinth of puzzles.

Throughout the ages the Time Crystal has been protected by puzzles created by the previous Time Crystal holders. The only way to escape is to complete those puzzles in order to gain time in the final zone where you need to gather enough power crystals to break free.

Every crystal you collect along the way will buy you 15 seconds to beat the final Crystal Dome and win your free dome and ownership of the Time Crystal

Eras
Ancient Egypt
Space Age / Futuristic
Roman Empire

Puzzle Types
Mental
Physical
Skill
Mystery

Puzzles

Puzzles range from 2 - 5 mins, set in one of the time zones and one of the puzzle tpyes. Each puzzle has a leader board to beat and an overall leader board for the Crystal Dome

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts

Mike
https://www.focusvr.co.uk

17 REPLIES 17

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Hi,

Thanks for looking and commenting 

I agree with it needing sound, its one thing I really need to get to grips with but I don't have access to any sound librarys other than what I find online

The solution of allowing people to load their own sounds to then use official sounds is a interesting idea.

elboffor
Consultant
Have to agree with big mike on this one, I'd suggest adding text to speech audio files that match phrases that could be found by some "anonymous users"

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
For replayability would it not need like loads of puzzles that maybe load randomly each game?
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
@CodeTen68 The mechanics to randomly select a puzzle are already built. However to for beta I focused on getting 12 puzzles, 1 per type, per zone + the final dome. Which means right now you can perform a full play through twice without playing the same puzzles. The plan if the game is successful enough would be to constantly generate new puzzles that can be launched as and when they are built.

Most of the puzzles also have an element of randomness. For instance, on the connect the wires puzzle the colours of the wires are randomly generated each time and the placement of the tiles with the wires on is random. The math puzzle, the questions and answers are randomly generated each time.  The ball weighing game has random colours and values generated each time. So the next time you play through it will not be precisely the same.  

Each puzzle also has a leaderboard so if you like to be the best you can play the puzzles again to get on the leaderboards.

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Thanks all, 

Looks like I'll be spending some time on sound design 🙂

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer

MickyX said:

@CodeTen68 The mechanics to randomly select a puzzle are already built. However to for beta I focused on getting 12 puzzles, 1 per type, per zone + the final dome. Which means right now you can perform a full play through twice without playing the same puzzles. The plan if the game is successful enough would be to constantly generate new puzzles that can be launched as and when they are built.

Most of the puzzles also have an element of randomness. For instance, on the connect the wires puzzle the colours of the wires are randomly generated each time and the placement of the tiles with the wires on is random. The math puzzle, the questions and answers are randomly generated each time.  The ball weighing game has random colours and values generated each time. So the next time you play through it will not be precisely the same.  

Each puzzle also has a leaderboard so if you like to be the best you can play the puzzles again to get on the leaderboards.

Thanks...I'm interested to see where this go's...it has great potential...please keep us informed of your progress 🙂
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Update: 12 Nov 2017

I dedicated around 30 hours this weekend to the game, I'm demoing with around 300 game developers at a Game Makers Yorkshire show on Thursday in Leeds so needed to get some final touches done.

Updated the visuals throughout the game see below for a comparison
ghrvxyoazaeg.jpg
848wmdz896rl.jpg
Added music and sound effects to all levels (Think this needs some work to balance the sound out but definitely better)

Below is a first play through of the game, I set each era to one puzzle for the sake of length on the video but the release will have 2 puzzles per era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRZk4PLimqQ

I have the game uploaded into Beta so if anyone is interested in having a free play and giving some feedback it would be very well received. 

Mike

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Update: 20th Jan 2019

Well it has taken me a while to get to this point, Life getting in the way and all that. 

But Time Crystal is about to be submitted to Oculus. If anyone on here wants access and willing to provide some feedback, message me your email address and I'll add you as a tester.

https://youtu.be/8cb0bfUD3dg

Looking forward to seeing what you think
Mike