cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trojan in Oculus App download

Snickerbar6060
Honored Guest
My friend and I are trying to download arizona sunshine that we played before. When trying to download the game the oculus software first optimizes the download. After this it starts the download and then an error occurs. 

Sometimes it happens after downloading 150MBs and other times after 500MBs. When the problem occurs I get a message through the windows notification that Oculus was unable to download the game. 

I've searched around the internet where they suggest the antivirus might be causing the problem. And indeed when I look in the protection history it shows that a threat has been quarantined that was located in the download location of Oculus.

The name of the threat goes as: Trojan:Win32/Meterpreter!ml. I've searched this name on the internet, but I can't find anyone talking about the same threat from Oculus. What I can see is that the threat is a sneaky trojan that's difficult to get rid of. Reinstalling Oculus hasn't solved the problem and me and my friends are still unable to download the game.

I don't feel comfortable white listing the threat because I can't find anyone else from the Oculus forum talking about it. 

Is this a false alarm from windows defender or is there something wrong with the oculus app?

3 REPLIES 3

iargo
Honored Guest
HAHA i have had the same problem waiting for an answer from the Oculus tech help. As you i am not willing to risk infecting my clean games pc with a Trojan which is almost impossible to remove.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
so anything downloaded from the occulus server is safe, meaning if you open in the oculus app and download from there you should be fine.

that said i don't think that threat comes from arizona sunshine.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

My friend and I are trying to download arizona sunshine that we played before. When trying to download the game the oculus software first optimizes the download. After this it starts the download and then an error occurs. 

Sometimes it happens after downloading 150MBs and other times after 500MBs. When the problem occurs I get a message through the windows notification that Oculus was unable to download the game. 

I've searched around the internet where they suggest the antivirus might be causing the problem. And indeed when I look in the protection history it shows that a threat has been quarantined that was located in the download location of Oculus.

The name of the threat goes as: Trojan:Win32/Meterpreter!ml. I've searched this name on the internet, but I can't find anyone talking about the same threat from Oculus. What I can see is that the threat is a sneaky trojan that's difficult to get rid of. Reinstalling Oculus hasn't solved the problem and me and my friends are still unable to download the game.

I don't feel comfortable white listing the threat because I can't find anyone else from the Oculus forum talking about it. 

Is this a false alarm from windows defender or is there something wrong with the oculus app?

false positive I think,I had similar warning.
turned off windows security while it downloaded/installed and it was fine.
turned security back on,did a quick scan just to be sure and all was well.
Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo