cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Snow Toobing

Jerware
Explorer
I just wanted to share some shots of my game/toy/thing I've been working on since receiving the Rift. It's a physics-based snow toobing simulator, and at the moment is more of a ride than a game. It's a ton of fun though. I found early on that physics-based motion felt exponentially more natural to me than typical linear FPS movement, so this was a natural fit. You can currently influence your trajectory slightly by leaning (tilting) left and right, but in general you're at the whim of gravity and the feeling is very good.

There's also a debug "jet engine" mounted to the toob, and it's so much fun I think it will definitely have to find its way into the game somehow. I have some initial ideas for objectives and gameplay, but right now I'm concentrating on getting the environment refined for the basic "hang on for dear life" riding experience.

There are several options for camera/toob connections too, as it seems some people prefer more of a vomit challenge than others. Personally I prefer a "smoother" ride, but to each his/her own.

Enjoy the shots! Any suggestions for a name? 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

drash
Heroic Explorer
"Hang on to your Rift!" (a la "hang on to your hat", half joking but you never know)

Anyway, looks very neat! Keep it up, can't wait to play this out someday. 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Looks good! I bet it's a lot of fun!

As for a name, hmmmmm. Powder Panic? (Rudolph's) Rift Rush? 🙂
I look forwards to trying it!
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

Anonymous
Not applicable
for gameplay, may i recommend just crash avoidance, falling off the course? seems with physics it would be fun to battle keeping yourself in line and not wiping out. obviously you'd want to race go for the best time and have some ability to boost (like the rocket pack you mentioned) to make the player gamble with speed....

maybe for a name you could go with something like 'freezer burn'? 🙂

Jerware
Explorer
These are great names! Thanks guys. The best I had so far was Snow dRift.

Ausinspiration
Honored Guest
That does sound like fun.

If you don't mind my asking, what SDK/physics engine are you using?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Cool. Had fun with the UDK rollercoaster demo. This looks like it could be just as much fun.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Jerware
Explorer
"Ausinspiration" wrote:
That does sound like fun.

If you don't mind my asking, what SDK/physics engine are you using?

Unity/PhysX. I'm looking forward to sharing it with you all.

edulinares
Honored Guest
Sold already. Can`t wait to see the progress on this. 😄

My suggestions:

-Put in some pushable obstacles, like cones, stacked boxes, barrels, or breakable wooden planks. Something with physics to interact with at high-speed.

-Have some penguins around or Santa flying on the sky or something :lol: