cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR w/no Oculus, 720p projector mounted Top Shot Elite

rlabelle
Protege
Playing FPS using Vorpx on DK1 kept making the wife and kids sick. We use 720p mini projectors on the windows for Halloween and Christmas decorations. I mounted one to the top of a Top Shot Elite for xbox 360, and mounted the rift to the back of the gun for tracking. We hung white sheets up over windows in the room, shut the lights off so it was pitch black, and fired up Left 4 Dead 2. The result really felt like you were walking around in the dark with a flashlight mounted on a gun shooting zombies. I disabled the joystick for turning so the only way to look around was to physically move the gun in the direction you were looking. Having to spin around to shoot a zombie attacking you from behind really added to the immersion. I really feel this was more life like than actually donning the rift on your head. From the video below you can see it is fully playable as she is a novice at this game but was still able to make it to the first safe house on the Carnival campaign. I really like how she had to point it at the ground to get ammo and up to the sky to shoot smokers on top of buildings and cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl0RtZ_ ... 9Gd2_3Ee19

Sixense will be releasing their SDK and game demos next week. I will be posting more videos with those using the razer hydra and Rift headset.
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1 FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28
6 REPLIES 6

henleyb
Protege
Great idea, looks like it's really fun. Could be a great first step for people to get games more interactive than just a static screen.

An app for phones to relay their compass etc to a virtual mouse/joystick on the pc would work too, so a Rift wouldn't even be needed.

rlabelle
Protege
It is a lot of fun, but very hard to resist the urge to walk forward. I'm excited to get the HTC Vive in November, at least then I can set up a space in garage to experience roaming. Even the STEM controllers should give about a 10 foot range. The cell phone tracking data is no where near precise enough to make a game playable, slow walking in scenery maybe. With the way the technology is moving we will probably have a solution like that within the next few years though. It's exciting!
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1 FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

totallyinto69
Honored Guest
"rlabelle" wrote:
Playing FPS using Vorpx on DK1 kept making the wife and kids sick. We use 720p mini projectors on the windows for Halloween and Christmas decorations. I mounted one to the top of a Top Shot Elite for xbox 360, and mounted the rift to the back of the gun for tracking. We hung white sheets up over windows in the room, shut the lights off so it was pitch black, and fired up Left 4 Dead 2. The result really felt like you were walking around in the dark with a flashlight mounted on a gun shooting zombies. I disabled the joystick for turning so the only way to look around was to physically move the gun in the direction you were looking. Having to spin around to shoot a zombie attacking you from behind really added to the immersion. I really feel this was more life like than actually donning the rift on your head. From the video below you can see it is fully playable as she is a novice at this game but was still able to make it to the first safe house on the Carnival campaign. I really like how she had to point it at the ground to get ammo and up to the sky to shoot smokers on top of buildings and cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl0RtZ_ ... 9Gd2_3Ee19

Sixense will be releasing their SDK and game demos next week. I will be posting more videos with those using the razer hydra and Rift headset.

Really? Who would go to all that trouble for that? I was about to say looks awesome, but it's actually rather retarded. Honestly that's about the most retarded shit I've seen. Why don't you try playing dying light with the rift and a mag 2 gun controller? I think it's hilarious everyone here thinks they've experienced something awesome and new when It's already been done before.

User was banned for this post. Insulting and offensive.

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
Don't listen to the nay sayers! You made something awesome 😉 , and probably learned a bit in the process which is what making things is ALL ABOUT! Keep making things, and improvising and improving, and just make things. Dont listen to anyone, you make what make you and others happy. Great job!

~B :ugeek:

rlabelle
Protege
Nah, I've seen him in other topics the past couple weeks. He has multiple responses like that, reason he was banned. However, I do agree with him on Dying Light. I have the game and every time I play it I am convinced it would be great in VR. But, it makes everyone so sick with rift on, and the parkour game play just doesn't work out well for VR. Playing with the projector in the dark using the original Doom actually proved to be the most satisfying option. I played 10 or so levels this way and it was a lot of fun.