cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View the Aurora Borealis Using the Oculus Rift and Torque 3D

davidwyandgg
Explorer
Greetings Rift Peeps!

I've been toiling away over the last month to bring you a new feast for your Rift wearing eyes! I present to you the Aurora Borealis demo created with Torque 3D:

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22255

Within that blog is a link that all of you may download and try out. The demo even works for those that don't have their Rift yet.

Could this be the first non-game application that combines science, education, and pretty Rift ready video?

Enjoy!

- Dave
28 REPLIES 28

LNRrgB
Honored Guest
One of the best uses so far - I hope that somehow we can get new content someday - I once felt my perspective shift while watching an auroral display, and I literally felt like I was riding the earth through space... I mean really, REALLY felt it. One of my most memorable experiences of life, period! - thx for this!

space123321
Explorer
Thsi is such an experience in the eyes of the rift - THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!! Breathtaking! 😮

davidwyandgg
Explorer

Aodh
Honored Guest
AHHHH!!! i really need my rift delivered right now... i cant wait. Great work dude. I think you and all the other developers are on the cusp of something great

rickardo69
Honored Guest
Hey Dave this is real nice even without a rift
many thanks

Maybe Cymatic Bruce will demo it for us

davidwyandgg
Explorer
Thanks again, guys. It would be great if Bruce wanted to show off this or our Rift Valley demo. As we're a community driven, open source engine, the more people that are using Torque 3D the better it will become over time.

- Dave

edzieba
Honored Guest
That is a REALLY nice demo! My one complaint (and not with the program itself) is that the footage from Canada cuts off just before sunrise; I'd really have liked to be able to experience the sunrise of another continent via a camera, the internet, and a VR headset.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Sweet!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

davidwyandgg
Explorer
Thanks!

@edzieba:
Unfortunately the AuroraMax camera turns off once morning arrives. Interestingly, in the March 17 footage that I used you can clearly still see the aurora as the sun comes up. I would be really curious how visible the aurora was during the day.

- Dave