cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[WIP] Space War

Arowx
Explorer
I believe every Rift owner should be able to put on their Rift, grab a controller and launch themselves into full on space combat.

Space War is my attempt to fulfil that dream.

Latest Gameplay Video.

Space War is still at alpha but provides:

A head based missile targeting system, look-lock-launch!

It just drops you into the asteroid belt, with some test targets nearby and some baddies further out.

If you would like to support the further development of Space War, please Buy the latest Build.

New Multiplayer Version [Alpha]
SpaceWar Multiplayer Alpha .10 for the PC DX11 (does not work with -adapter N command line parameter)
DX9 Build (works with -adapter N)

Note: Please check back for updates, as this game is currently in active development, see last page of thread for update info.

Facebook Page

Controls:

Xbox 360 Controller
    Left analogue thrust forwards and sides:
    Right analogue rotate
    Left Shoulder Button Roll
    Right Shoulder Button Roll
    Left Trigger launch missile
    Right Trigger fire blasters

Mouse/Keyboard
    Mouse - Heading
    A/D Strafe Left/Right
    W/S Thrust Forward/Back
    Q/E Roll
    Space launch Missile

107 REPLIES 107

Richardjrn
Honored Guest
"Richardjrn" wrote:
I shall try the free version now and report back afterward

Wow... I thought I was only in the rift for about 5-10 minutes... Turns out it was 30 minutes! Had to stop cause things was getting a bit blurry (It was nearly 1am after all)

I thought it was brilliant!

However...

- Headtracking did drift and sadly there isn't a 'view reset' button so that was another reason I had to stop.
- Mouse sensitivity was a bit high and I had to get used to it repeatedly.
- The deathscreen skull scared the [insert suitable swearword here] out of me the first time I saw it (and a few more times afterward)
- The radar lock has a bit of an issue when there is multiple targets in the rectical causing a lot of beeping
- Radar is a bit confusing, I couldn't figure out where the enemy was via that so I ended up doing a lot of looking around (which is nice) for the enemy

- I do really like the body placement of the ingame character though, When I looked at the hands it felt like it matched my real world hands and gave a nice sense of immersion.
- The whole thing is fun and I can not wait to see what else is put in (I'm hoping for some sort of motherships and such to dock with and move around in)

"Arowx" wrote:
If you try Space War, does it give you the feeling of taking part in a Space battle?

Sorta, I do feel like I am in a battle in space, But I guess its not quite there yet? I think it might just be the whole "Oh the rift isn't high enough quality for full immerssion blah blah blah" thing so keep it up!

Can't wait.

whoisonline
Explorer
I can't wait to try the new updates.

IJke
Honored Guest
Yeah good stuff.

Arowx
Explorer
battleshipRender.png

OK It has been a while but I'm back and want to make Space War more like a conflict in space, this could take some time though.

I've been away doing the VRJam working on LGM Pizza Delivery Rocketeer, Spanner and the recent Ludum Dare 48 hr where I created Decimoid.

So I'm thinking bigger ships, cannons, turrets, missiles and explosions what do you think?

Arowx
Explorer
What films/games have the best space combat sequences and could you reply with a link to a video showing that sequence?

Arowx
Explorer
Been thinking about carriers you know big spaceships that carry a squadron of fighters, e.g. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars

Actually why don't they have fighters in Star Trek, kind of silly really, as a mass of smaller ships with powerful weapons can easily overwhelm a larger ship with fewer but more powerful weapons, it's like Star Trek forgot about the move from battleships to aircraft carriers that happened in world war two.

But I'm not a fan of the launch tube concept, you set aside a big chunk of your spaceship to allow fighters one at a time to be launched into space.

It's a single point of weakness in a spaceships design, jam it or destroy it and their fighter squadron is out of action.

So what about rows of individual hangar bays, the fighters just boost out of them and dock with them, allowing multiple fighters to launch at once and re-supply at once.

I think the Babylon 5 fighters used this approach.

And thinking of future combat what about drones, would combat be more interesting if a single fighter had a school of drones you could command/control?

Arowx
Explorer
battleshipScale.jpg

Does this look about the right scale for a battleship / carrier class?

Arowx
Explorer
carrierSideView.jpg

So a side loading hangar system can handle 6 ships per bay 8 bays = 48 ships per carrier.

The drone carriers have 16 missiles and 32 drones, each drone has 4 mini blasters and 10 mini missiles.

I'm thinking the drones are more of a swarm fighter, a fraction of the punch of a fighter but much harder to take down and a swarm could be a very formidable opponent.

Just models so far but working towards including them all in the game, the idea is you start on the dreadnaught, as a spawn point and can fly it or use it's weapons and jump into one of the ship types from it.

Then if you lose the dreadnaught you no longer have a respawn point.

So I just need a fourth type of ship... making gradual progress.

Arowx
Explorer
droneCarrier.jpg

Drone Carrier.

Arowx
Explorer
OK fourth and final ship type the heavily armoured troop transport.

troopTransport.jpg

The idea I'm going for is using heavily armoured drop-pods to protect the troops as well and heavy forward and rear armour. The troop transport can zoom through the drop zone and launch the pods with minimum slowdown.

2 x medium blasters and 10 mini turrets, mainly for anti-missile defence but combined could be formidable.

The heavy armour and dropship style thrusters limit this ship type to two per bay.