cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waking Man - An Oculus Rift Meditation (from Showcase)

UnelloDesign
Honored Guest
Waking Man is a meditative virtual reality experience design for the Oculus Rift in Unity 3d.
It is best experienced sitting cross legged on the ground with your hands on your knees.

Also make sure you have your HEADPHONES PLUGGED IN and your computer microphone activated.
Without headphones you will get some horrible feedback coming out of your computer
... you have been warned.

WITH headphones you will get a peaceful experience with a special sonic surprise.

Download for free for Mac and PC:
http://www.unellodesign.com/oculus-rift-demos/

Watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02y9ODDdj8Q&feature=youtu.be
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow this is really awesome ! Great trip !!

Thank you very much for making it. Have you ever heard of hemi-synch?

Martynyuu
Honored Guest
I pressed Spacebar and got an outer body experience lol

iMat85
Honored Guest
Can't wait to try this with my special needs students.

meanfig
Honored Guest
"iMat85" wrote:
Can't wait to try this with my special needs students.

Ahhh ya, not the best idea on my opinion.
I GOT'S TWO!

iMat85
Honored Guest
I respect that. This is being done in a very controlled manner with professionals.

Anonymous
Not applicable
lol. I'm sure it's fine trying with special needs students. Like what the hell ??
You can't discriminate who can and can't use the Rift now. Obviously different experiences will be more suited for
different individuals, but I worked with special needs adults for 8 years and I have to say many of them are more aware
and caring that allot of 'normal' people.. Anyway I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just unfair to lump other people into categories like that.

iMat85
Honored Guest
Thank you, Lookforyourhands.

I don't want to hijack this thread any further with my stuff but I will say, the Rift is being used a very careful, professionally guided manner. You wouldn't even pick that some of my kids have a disability.
We've already seen a lot of positive outcomes and I the kids are LOVING it.

nikkmitchell
Honored Guest
"iMat85" wrote:
Thank you, Lookforyourhands.

I don't want to hijack this thread any further with my stuff but I will say, the Rift is being used a very careful, professionally guided manner. You wouldn't even pick that some of my kids have a disability.
We've already seen a lot of positive outcomes and I the kids are LOVING it.

That's awesome! I worked with special needs before and I always had my eyes open for good things to do. If I was still working I would probably be introducing a few clients to VR now. I know here is not the thread to talk about it, but I hope you have a place to. A blog, or even just a thread of your own. I would love to hear a lot more about your experiences(as would others probably.)

AND in regards to this game! First off I loved fire breather. Very cool to feel like you are roaring fire. This was kind of an unusual experience.

I felt like a GIANT. Not that that is bad. Because maybe you were going for that. But it felt like my shoulders were 3 feet away from me. At first it was weird, but then I just pretended I was a giant. And that is a cool experience!

I didn't know that there was any reactions to making sound. I just sat there meditating perfectly still for maybe 10 or 15 minutes just watching the sun waiting for something to happen. After that I tried to turn around to see if anything was behind me and hit my hand, causing a crazy echo very loudly in my headphones. Seriously scared me. But after that I enjoyed playing around with it a little bit. Chanting and singing and stuff, it was kind of cool.

Overall it's goo, keep working on your orally interactive VR experiences! You are getting at some really great concepts.

iMat85
Honored Guest
Thanks for your support!

Some feedback for the Unello guys.
-The slow movement of the horizon from left to write is quite clever. It's actually really useful for training kids in tracking of eye movements, such as with reading and writing.
-The presence of the physical body form in the meditation position is an excellent visual queue for setting and correcting one's position. What's interesting is how it encourages the relaxation of neck and should muscles
-The use of the echo/delay via a microphone has a lot of potential, especially in the theta/delta states that are brought on under such circumstances. This could be quite useful in conjunction with messages of self-affirmation, such as 'I am calm', 'I am relaxed' etc.

A colleague and I have been coming up with some plans to potentially use Walking Man in a case study with some of our students. We'd like to measure some students' pulses/heart rates before, during and after using programs like this during different times of the day and in different moods. Ideally we'd hope to see an effect where a student who is agitated could be calmed using this or better yet, develop coping strategies.

I've only made one blog post so far because I've only had the Rift for 4 days.
http://www.matsclassroom.com/1/post/2013/08/virtual-reality-in-special-needs-education-the-oculus-ri...