cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to Oculus [Classic] (SDK 0.7.0 released 2015-10-18)

treytech
Explorer

Oct 18 2015 update: This "Classic" version is a preservation of the original experience, but with added support for the newest 0.7.0 runtime.

In my opinion, there is a noticeable lack of demos suited for the first time Rift experience. A person's first time in the Rift is a pretty powerful thing, and I did not like to see it wasted. Dumping a user into a room or environment without any story or build-up seems counter-intuitive to the immersion factor that the Rift allows us. I wanted to tell a story, slowly introduce the user to the Rift, and warm our way up to the more "fun" experiences. The story aspect also lets the user connect on an emotional level with the experience. First impressions are important, even more so with the social stigma virtual reality gained from premature attempts at its creation.

Controls: Press space to begin, R to reset orientation, and ESC to quit.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.slicevr.com/welcome/

Notice: You'll need a set of codecs, like these.

Changelog:

• Update Oct 18 2015: Runtime 0.7.0 support. New Oculus logos have also been added.

• Update Sep 24 2014: Minor bug fixes/improvements. Submission to Oculus Share.

• Update Sep 18 2014: New build uploaded with mirror to desktop support and a check to ensure video is playing.
181 REPLIES 181

Laserschwert
Honored Guest
"treytech" wrote:
I specifically didn't use a jump scare, and I haven't seen anyone that got really scared from that part. Would you I rather take that entire scene out? Most good dark rides will make you feel out of control at least once - it's part of the thrill. Maybe I'll just keep the suspense up, but remove the climax where slender appears right in front of you. At most, maybe just make you think you saw him out of the corner of your eye. That slightly unsettling feeling is a prime example of the power the Rift has.

And still this isn't something I would want in an "educational" presentation of the Rift.

To be fair, I might be more prone to scares like these than others, so it's safe to assume that it strongly varies from person to person (and since it's so much stronger in VR, that should be taken into accont). I can't even play Slender, Silent Hill or other stuff like that on a monitor, so playing it in the Rift would probably make me stop sleeping with the lights out for the rest of my life 😉

Obviously there are more than enough people who like these games, and with so many horror games and experiences for the Rift in development, they definitely have a large audience. So instead of removing the scene, I'd suggest just to implement an "Smooth or Scary" setting at the start 😄

treytech
Explorer
"Laserschwert" wrote:
"treytech" wrote:
I specifically didn't use a jump scare, and I haven't seen anyone that got really scared from that part. Would you I rather take that entire scene out? Most good dark rides will make you feel out of control at least once - it's part of the thrill. Maybe I'll just keep the suspense up, but remove the climax where slender appears right in front of you. At most, maybe just make you think you saw him out of the corner of your eye. That slightly unsettling feeling is a prime example of the power the Rift has.

And still this isn't something I would want in an "educational" presentation of the Rift.

To be fair, I might be more prone to scares like these than others, so it's safe to assume that it strongly varies from person to person (and since it's so much stronger in VR, that should be taken into accont). I can't even play Slender, Silent Hill or other stuff like that on a monitor, so playing it in the Rift would probably make me stop sleeping with the lights out for the rest of my life 😉

Obviously there are more than enough people who like these games, and with so many horror games and experiences for the Rift in development, they definitely have a large audience. So instead of removing the scene, I'd suggest just to implement an "Smooth or Scary" setting at the start 😄

If I offer a version that would give you the choice, I would either have to include two video files in the download, or fast forward the video during the demo, which would result in apparent audio skipping. I'll run some tests to see if this is as noticeable as I think it might be. If this doesn't work out, I might just offer two separate downloads - a "mild" and an "exciting" version.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
thanks mate.... either way this is some great work.

edit...

quick question, is that really a computer generated voice or is it a real voice messed around with?

if it is completely synthesised that is pretty cool... Things have come on since my amiga 500 text to speech!!
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

treytech
Explorer
"bigmike20vt" wrote:
thanks mate.... either way this is some great work.

edit...

quick question, is that really a computer generated voice or is it a real voice messed around with?

if it is completely synthesised that is pretty cool... Things have come on since my amiga 500 text to speech!!

It is completely a "text-to-speech" computer generated voice.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Wow! It has certainly come on.

This could be great as a temporary place holder for titans of space as well.

1 thing I noticed after another run through, it is only slight but in direct mode I am getting that bug I sometimes see in dark scenes where the left eye is ever so slightly darker than the right. In extended mode the lighting is uniform but it is brighter across the board . direct looks better aside from the bug.

Dunno if that is just me?.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

TobyM
Honored Guest
"spyro" wrote:
DirectToRift still doesn't work

Same problem here; always launches to monitor rather than the DK2 in direct mode.

Specs:

Asus z87 Pro, i7 4770k, Nvidia 780 w/ driver 344.11, 16GB DDR3, Asus VG248qe w/ GSync mod (GSync disabled in driver), DK2 (SDK/Runtime 0.4.2, FW 2.12) Windows 8.1. I have a second monitor as well, which I completely disconnected to see if it made a difference and it did not.

Most direct titles work, though many I have to force DX11. Even while forcing DX11 this one does not. If there is any other info you need please ask and I'll be happy to provide it.

Thank you!

treytech
Explorer
"TobyM" wrote:
"spyro" wrote:
DirectToRift still doesn't work

Same problem here; always launches to monitor rather than the DK2 in direct mode.

Specs:

Asus z87 Pro, i7 4770k, Nvidia 780 w/ driver 344.11, 16GB DDR3, Asus VG248qe w/ GSync mod (GSync disabled in driver), DK2 (SDK/Runtime 0.4.2, FW 2.12) Windows 8.1. I have a second monitor as well, which I completely disconnected to see if it made a difference and it did not.

Most direct titles work, though many I have to force DX11. Even while forcing DX11 this one does not. If there is any other info you need please ask and I'll be happy to provide it.

Thank you!

Hmm, I'm not sure. Direct mode works fine without changing anything on my Windows 8.1 desktop with a GTX 770, and on my Windows 8.1 laptop with a GTX 560m. I've seen scattered reports of Direct mode not working for other people, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Hopefully I'll get some time next week to do some more research. Sorry for the issues.

TobyM
Honored Guest
"treytech" wrote:
Hopefully I'll get some time next week to do some more research. Sorry for the issues.

Thanks much; I'll keep plugging away and if I can find any more useful information I'll pass it on.

Infe
Honored Guest
Is there any chance you could make the theater bit a separate experience? I'd definitely pay a couple bucks to be able to watch my own movies in that theater if it supports SBS video. Never seen video run so smoothly on my Rift as in your demo, and the theater looks awesome.

EddieJames
Explorer
You should try LiveViewRift
DK2 on ASUS Rampage V i7-5930k @ 3.5ghz, GTX 780ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 500GB SSD Win 7 Pro