cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whitewater VR: Extreme Kayaking Adventure has launched - and is great after the latest patch

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I love Kayak VR: Mirage, it's easily 10/10 to me - so I was greatly looking forward to some Extreme Kayaking. And this game looks awesome - really great graphics - even if slightly worse than Kayak VR. Btw, my rig: Index, 3090, 10900K, Win10, 32GB. The game runs great using max in-game graphics settings with Index res 300% (250% in the jungle level) in 80 Hz with no motion smoothing.

Find the game here for $20:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2360340/Whitewater_VR_Extreme_Kayaking_Adventure/

Examples of the amazing environments and HDR-like lighting:

download (3).jpg

download (4).jpg

download (7).jpg

download (6).jpg

download (18).jpg

download (17).jpg

download (19).jpg

Probably no secret that this game is way beyond what any phone gpu can handle, including the Adreno 740 phone gpu inside the Quest 3 - you need a powerful gaming PC to run this game, and surely even an RTX 4090 is not waste on this game at all. The recommended systems requirements are very high:

RECOMMENDED:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Ryzen 3600 / Intel i5 9600K
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 3080
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 20 GB available space
    • VR Support: OpenXR

download (8).jpg

Just a simple screenshot to show the nice textures - does look like some wet rock to me - you can use the paddle to push off from surfaces like here

After the tutorial has been made optional in the latest patch, I'm able to recommend the game. Controls are still not perfect, and there are some clipping errors - and possible too many places to be trapped with the kayak - and you can risk being catapulted into the air at great speeds (but that rarely happens).

Do not try the tutorial unless you really want - at least to me the tutorial was way harder than the real levels - and the tutorial was not needed. You may need some good VR legs for the game though.

download (13).jpg

The water quality is really awesome

The kayak feels too high in the water, even using the lowest height setting, but the dev is working to fix this in his next patch.

When the game works optimally, it's a mindblowingly awesome and beautiful experience - and a great workout.

After the recent patch, I'd rate the game 7.5/10 - maybe more if you're very fond of VR kayaking 🙂

download (9).jpg

download (16).jpg

download (15).jpg

There are many great vistas and scenery - I'm trying to spoil as little as possible 🙂

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

2 REPLIES 2

AliceinVRworld
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Wow!! I have been white water rafting before and this looks awesome! Very realistic!! Ahhh! I might need to get it!

We are all mad here.

I gave up on the frustrating tutorial, but I beat all levels when trying them the first time - even beat ParadiseDecay a few times on my very first run, lol 🤗

Using free roaming, there is no time pressure, but your time will still be recorded and registered in the charts. I think I got the 9th position on Iceland - on my 2nd run, I can do better! 😇

Btw, there are just 5 levels, but these are big (Kayak VR Mirage only has 4 levels) - and I took a few more shots 😃

download (1).jpg

I think this is from Austria...

download (3).jpg

From the jungle in South America

download (2).jpg

Back to Austria - but see the drop here, you quickly pick up speed - this is Extreme Kayaking - it's by far not a "sit-in-a-kayak-in-a-calm-lake-for-VR-users-who-need-teleport-controls-to-not-feel-🤢"-experience 😎 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"