cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WrenAR Leap Motion Orion DK2 Softbody Test

crevver
Explorer

I've been busy on multiplayer integration and researching non-Unity VR game engines, but I saw the Orion stuff from Leap Motion yesterday and decided to take it for a spin this morning to see what it can do. The tracking is much improved from previous versions. The setup is a little different than previous iterations, but I found it pretty easy to work with.
This build has passthrough also, so you see the real world, and your hands, as well as the 3D hands and objects you can interact with. The significant thing in this build which no one else does is Softbody interaction.

Here's a Win 64 Build (Oculus SDK 0.8) to play with, Leap Motion and DK2 required.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw8x5ck8jr41rfi/WrenAR_Orion_SoftbodyTest.rar?dl=0

See more at http://www.wrenar.com
30 REPLIES 30

crevver
Explorer
"JaggerWolf" wrote:
This was just awesome - When I downloaded it I was expecting the typical "Leap" experience....so so tracking.....lot's of random glitching of the hands, etc. - But between this and the new Orion update....WOW this was just awesome, one of the first few experiences that even got the girlfriend to say "WOW" which is a feat trust me...she doesn't quite get how VR is as cool as we think it is....but this demo she was finally able to grasp what the future holds for interaction.

Very cool experience, can't wait to see what you come up with next!!!

So glad you enjoyed it, Orion was a really nice overhaul from Leap, tracking is very accurate and it solved a lot of the issues from previous SDKs. Not sure what to do next with the jellies, but looking into multiplayer, chat etc. If you have any ideas, please pass them along!

Anyone else that wants to try it, I'm now pointing people at the WEARVR site for download, so my dropbox doesn't blow up:
https://www.wearvr.com/apps/rainbow-jellies

crevver
Explorer
Jelly_Multiplayer.png
I put together a multiplayer version of the Jelly demo, but cannot test it properly. I have all the connectivity working fine, and it seems stable and good updating etc, but I only have one Oculus/Leap setup, so cannot truly test this. If anyone want to engage in a multiplayer test of this please ping me.

You can get the build here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p4koatczc880s7/WrenAR_Jelly_Multiplayer.zip?dl=0
(Win64 Oculus Dk2, 0.8 runtime, LEAP Motion, Orion runtime)

crevver
Explorer
"benplace" wrote:
I just tried it and everything is upside down?

BTW you are not crazy, after a week or so with this, I can tell you the stream flipping upside down happens, not all the time but I'd say 15% of the time. I found 2 fixes for this:
1) Flip your leap motion upside down physically.
2) In the configuration panel do this : Uncheck Auto Orientation, Click Apply, Click Reverse Orientation, Click Apply, Click Auto Orientation, Click Apply. Run The game.

-C

alexcolgan
Protege
"crevver" wrote:
"benplace" wrote:
I just tried it and everything is upside down?

BTW you are not crazy, after a week or so with this, I can tell you the stream flipping upside down happens, not all the time but I'd say 15% of the time. I found 2 fixes for this:
1) Flip your leap motion upside down physically.
2) In the configuration panel do this : Uncheck Auto Orientation, Click Apply, Click Reverse Orientation, Click Apply, Click Auto Orientation, Click Apply. Run The game.

-C

After hearing reports of this issue we've been able to replicate it here; working on a solution 😄 Typically a service restart or computer restart will resolve the problem.
Head writer @ Leap Motion

JaggerWolf
Expert Protege
The only think I can think of would be a variety of different sea creatures maybe - Fish, stingrays, eels - really anything that could be manipulated.

I like that you can move the ball & blocks around by reaching behind them - maybe make the same possible with the creatures, being able to guide them around using your hands.

crevver
Explorer
jelly_multiplayer_7.png

Download the Win64 Build (Oculus DK2, 0.8 runtime, Leap Motion, Orion runtime):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgyfvk4z1muz4es/WrenAR_Jellies_Multiplayer.zip?dl=0

I've got most of the multiplayer issues worked out. Now multiple people can be in the same world, each with a unique avatar, unique image passthrough feed, and unique avatar and LEAP motion control. I added in some keyboard controls per feedback to allow people to move around within the space. Try it out!!

Multiplayer:
You can connect via Matchmaker (Host and Create/Join) and also through LAN (Host/Client)

I built this guy in about 1 minute, so think of it as a placeholder - Of course custom avatars down the road...His head will rotate in the direction of your HMD. Bodies don't rotate yet, but I'll put in some controls for this soon.

New Controls:

WASD - This will move you around
Look in the direction you want to go for forward and back WS
AD will strafe you.
M: Mirror I put in for testing, it is computationally expensive, so if you notice a
framerate drop, disable by toggling "M" again
Up Next:

Seeing other people's hands/fingers

VOIP with LipSynch

Cleaning Up Lobby Buttons and making it more Oculus/Leap friendly

jelly_multiplayer_6.png

crevver
Explorer
jelly_multiplayer_8.png

Jelly Chat!
Download the build here (Win64 DK2/Leap, 0.8 runtime, Orion runtime):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqsrcgtao3fb9ci/WrenAR_Jelly_MP_Chat.zip?dl=0

I integrated some VOIP chat into the multiplayer Jelly experience today. I clearly need to do some tuning on the chat functions, it has a delay and plays back slow, but it works over LAN and Internet! So now you can create a game, name it, other people can join it, you can move around using the WASD keys, interact with Jellyfish using your hands, and now chat with others.

Coming Soon:
[list=]Better Chat Tuning
Push to Talk and Mute options for chat
Name Entry and Display in Game
Clean VR front end Menu - so all is accessible via VR interactions
Lobby management
Custom Avatars
Seeing other people's hands and being able to interact with them
Controls
[list=]WASD - movement
M = mirror I put in for debug, processor intensive but cool to see your avatar waving etc.
ESC Quit

Luciferous
Consultant
Hi,

Congrats on getting featured on the Leap emails/website. Well deserved.

I had a quick test of the multi player and I could not get it to recognise the Leap. I went back to your single player demo and it worked fine?

Thanks

crevver
Explorer
The MP version requires you to either host or join an online game right at the start:
"h" will host locally, easiest option, OR you can use the 2D UI buttons on your computer screen (not the rift) to setup or join an online game.

Thanks for checking it out, if the above suggestion doesn't help, not sure why Leap isn't working in the MP version for you. I've got some newer versions of it, but the Leap should not be an issue in any of them, so probably something I need to look into. I'll post up a link to a newer build after GDC, if you have the bandwidth to check it out and let me know if there's still a leap problem, that would be really helpful. So tough to test this out properly with only one Oculus, I have 2 leaps and have tested it across multiple machines all connecting through the internet and it works fine. The Oculus CV1 should arrive in a couple weeks and I can return to multiplayer testing properly.

Anyhow, I got multiplayer and VOIP working at a basic level and was happy with it, so I shifted gears towards gesturing and UI for more types of interactions in this space.

I'll be demoing this tomorrow night @ GDC VR Mixer if anyone's interested, I have no idea what new features I'll finish up today, but that's the fun! If you're at the Mixer, please stop by and check it out. I'll post up the newer builds after GDC.

http://www.wrenar.com

Luciferous
Consultant
Just to confirm, the Leap is not set up to work in the first menu screen? I just press 'h' to host?

My head seemed to be highlighting options, but no leap. It was a quick test so maybe I just need to RTFM. 😄

I will have another go at the weekend.

Good luck at GDC, would love to pop along but in London, England. (Don't forget my pirate ghost 😄 )