cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your top 10 VR experiences "of all time" ?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I really like that enough years have gone by to where we can start talking about an "of all time" list when it comes to VR.

I saw a video on YouTube that had its own list:
  • No Man's Sky
  • Stormland
  • Pavlov
  • SkyrimVR
  • VR Chat
  • Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
  • Beat Saber
  • Lone Echo
  • Boneworks
  • Half-Life: Alex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHIV9jQxoB8

That's a fairly solid list. I haven't played/completed some of those due to my backlog. So based on the titles I have completed, my "of all time list" would include, in no particular order:

1) Chronos
2) Technolust
3) Lone Echo
4) Form
5) Xing
6) Dead Secret
7) Farlands
😎 Obduction
9) Nevermind
10) The Invisible Hours

Although I may be the only person on Earth who regards Farlands so highly lol
25 REPLIES 25

saami81
Rising Star
Hard question, but there are few that i can think right now. Not in any particular order.

- Skyrim vr (modded)
- Asgards Wrath
- EmuVR
- Medal of Honor:Above and Beyond
- Lone Echo
- Half Life:Alyx
- Dirt Rally 2
- Original DOOM 1,2 and DOOM 3 (VR modded versions of these ofc)

There are also plenty of more excellent VR games that i enjoyed, but these are the ones that came to mind first.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Love stuff like this!
Experience...
Well for me it has to be my first VR experience, in the DK2 Elite Dangerous.  I had been playing it pancake for a few months.  Went in VR and the first thing I noticed were some handles in my ship's cockpit.  Handles.  Blew me away!
And then of course sitting in a car that was on a road.  I know, right??
And the looking up at the big ceilings in Skyrim and FO4
And then looking down on the planet in Google Earth

- Elite Dangerous
- Assetto Corsa / Dirt Rally 2
- Skyrim / Fallout 4
- Google Earth

- Half-life Alyx
- Lone Echo
- Mage's Tale

Oh, my misses loves Beat Saber!

clouds5
Expert Protege
Here's my list so far 🙂 I've been gaming since the early 90ies and only just gotten into VR with the Quest 2. OMG, if I only knew that this would be in my future 😄
1. Half-Life: Alyx, I often just stand still, look around and have goose bumps.
2. Dirt Rally 2.0, it's not perfect but with a wheel and pedals it's a dream come true nonetheless.
3. Lone Echo, if you are someone who has ever dreamed of being in space, you have to play this.
4. Until you Fall, great sword fighting game, makes you sweat. The kind of game you play every now and then.
5. Super Hot, cool stuff
6. Propagation VR, free on SteamVR. Sooo scary.
7. Oculus TV/Youtube VR, I went to a comedy club. Sat in the middle of a crowd and just had a good time. And that in 2020.
8. Assetto Corsa, one of the best racing sims that plays great in VR.
9. BeatSaber, has to be on the list.
10. Moss, Rogue Squadron, Asgards Wrath --> bought them, but only had time for a short tests.
I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

That's a fairly solid list. I haven't played/completed some of those due to my backlog. So based on the titles I have completed, my "of all time list" would include, in no particular order:

1) Chronos
2) Technolust
3) Lone Echo
4) Form
5) Xing
6) Dead Secret
7) Farlands
😎 Obduction
9) Nevermind
10) The Invisible Hours

Although I may be the only person on Earth who regards Farlands so highly lol

It's interesting that you put Chronos at the very top - being a game which doesn't really support Touch, nor is it first person's view. Thus the game lacks many elements that many would consider necessary for optimal VR immersion. Yet I fully understand your decision (I think) because if you're into games like Dark Souls 3 with some puzzle elements added, absolutely nothing beats Chronos. The giant monsters in Chronos even dwarfs nearly all opponents Alyx has to offer. And the atmosphere in VR is second to none. 

I still need to try Dead Secret and Nevermind. 

Farlands also impressed me a lot - but I never took the time to really get into the game. Your list is again a great example of looking back instead of forward when it comes to finding the most awesome VR games. Oculus did the most awesome work trying to show the world the potential of VR in 2016-2017, and great effort went into many early games. Especially compared to the many indie (junk-like) games and apps we're mostly seeing these days. 

Btw, couldn't help thinking that Valve copied - or was inspired by - Mage's Tale when making the weapon selection interface in Alyx - different weapons are placed like left - top - right - you just move your hand to touch and change weapon:

eihsnkbn8pd9.jpg

In Mage's Tale different spells are placed left - top - right - bottom, you just move your hand to touch and change spell:

cqtz657pz3ey.jpg

If you can't beat them, join them 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Ten in no particular order of greatness. I've probably racked-up the most hours in Fallout 4 VR due to how I've modded the game.

Fallout 4 VR
HL:A
Skyrim VR
Elite D
No Man's Sky
Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Asgard's Wrath
Big Screen
Any Adult VR game
LOW-FI (pre-release)

Hon Mention RESIDENT EVIL 7

I think my list still stands, however LOW-FI has come a long way since and continually gets better. Star Wars Squadrons is pretty decent as well. But, it is the prospect of HITMAN trilogy and Resident Evil 8 that has me excited for this year.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:
It's interesting that you put Chronos at the very top - being a game which doesn't really support Touch, nor is it first person's view. 

Yeah, these are 2 topics that I addressed quite a bit back in 2016/2017. When the Rift first launched with only an XBox controller and the Oculus Remote, a lot of Vive fans were running around here claiming that Rift owners are not experiencing "real VR" because we had no hand-controllers.

And when games like Edge of Nowhere were released, which are in 3rd person mode, similar claims were made.

I've always strongly disagreed with the notion that hand-controllers and 1st person view are necessary for VR:
  • VR immersion is not about "becoming another avatar."
  • VR immersion is about being immersed in to the "environment."
  • Hand-controllers limit immersion, because they limit VR's capabilities to what your hands can do.
  • A gamepad in VR allows your arms to remain fairly still, and increases immersion as your body remains relatively calm, with only your head and fingers moving to control the VR space. This allows more focus, which naturally increases immersion.
One good example is: strategy games (e.g. RTS). They are amazing in VR, fully immersive, yet require top-down 3rd person view. When you're in a 3rd person view, you are in God View. The level of immersion for God View is just as good, or often times better, than 1st person View (Avatar View).

God View vs Avatar View

It's all the same level of immersion. Having "hands" doesn't add nor remove immersion to God View, because being a God is not as limiting as being an Avatar. An Avatar can only do avatar things, whereas a God can do limitless God things. Ergo, a gamepad can have a distinct advantage over hand-controllers when in God View.

I've always preferred the gamepad over hand-controllers in VR, where it makes logical sense. For example, using a gamepad for Beat Saber would be terrible! However, using a Gamepad in Battle Zone is amazing; and a far more immersive experience than trying to use the hand-controllers to navigate battle tanks.

I think people tend to latch on to ideals about VR and what makes it immersive, based on what those individuals prefer to play. Such as people who love VR Fitness experiences. Those consumers will claim that VR is only immersive when you have hand-controllers, full room-scale, and are standing 100% of the time.

Others will claim that VR is only immersive when you have the best graphics and FoV, and nothing else matters.

Personally, I feel that VR immersion is based solely on the ability to have your mind tricked in to believing that what you are experiencing is real. The more distractions you have, the less immersion. Likewise, the more we try to limit VR - such as having 1st Person View "avatar only" experiences - the more we limit VR's capabilities and immersion overall.

A fun topic point though!
 🙂