cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a proper loading screen?

Gerald
Expert Protege
I am well on the way with the title itself, but adding a simple loadscreen seems to introduce issues.

Is there some ready to go demo scene I only need to add the name of my scene to that I have been missing?
What is the best way to load the big scene?
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
6 REPLIES 6

nilstastic
Explorer
I'm probably misunderstanding you (tired from all jamming) but couldn't you just load one simple scene (with a progress bar or similar) and then load the main scene with LoadLevelAsync?

Gerald
Expert Protege
"nilstastic" wrote:
I'm probably misunderstanding you (tired from all jamming) but couldn't you just load one simple scene (with a progress bar or similar) and then load the main scene with LoadLevelAsync?

yeah that is what I thought too ... but no. I get thrown back to the OS.
And LoadLevel just keeps me in the loading scene (nothing other than a few quads) and the loading script:

int counter = 0;

// Use this for initialization
void Start () {

}

// Update is called once per frame
void Update () {

counter++;

if (counter == 4) {
//Application.LoadLevelAsync ("GunsNDragonsAlphaCleaned2");
Application.LoadLevel ("GunsNDragonsAlphaCleaned2");
}
}

The counter is there since I was told that loading on the first frame causes issues.

Well ... I wait for an official answer or just leave the loading screen be. For a Jam build it will hardly be that important 😉

nilstastic
Explorer
"Gerald" wrote:

Well ... I wait for an official answer or just leave the loading screen be. For a Jam build it will hardly be that important 😉

I'm picturing Carmack opening up the app and going "wtf, no loading screen!" *shuts down app*

HelloMeow
Explorer
"nilstastic" wrote:
"Gerald" wrote:

I'm picturing Carmack opening up the app and going "wtf, no loading screen!" *shuts down app*

Haha, exactly.
VRJam: Hexagon

Gerald
Expert Protege
hehe - yeah, quite possible, but if this does not work I won't waste a time now and maybe not complete the project before the deadline.

and I changed the code above ... moving from start to update (1st frame issue) does not mean one should load it every single frame. sadly that did not solve the overall issue.

And it runs so well on PC, on the phone though ... just stays in the loading screen with active tracking.

Gerald
Expert Protege
okay ... I don't feel stupid at all ... found the problem!

turns out that if you forget to activate the OVR cam in the scene you load and still have your PC test setup active it will not load properly and drive you nuts. :oops: