cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7900 XTX Constant frame drops in VR

Vartazian
Explorer

Hey I recently got the 7900 XTX and on flat screen its fine but in VR its a mess. 1 is that  the performance isn't that amazing in  VR like it is on flatscreen. 2, is that about every 10 seconds I get a dropped frame. It  seems like People are complaining on AMD forums but I am wondering if this is something that can be fixed on Oculus Software side?

I ran the diagnostics frame drop capture tool

My system is i9-9900k, 7900XTX 32GB DDR4 3600. Oculus Rift CV1. AMD 23.3.1 drivers (latest)

Vartazian_0-1678514859026.png

Each one of these rows contains a dropped frame which can be felt VERY easily in VR.

14 REPLIES 14

Vartazian
Explorer

I should mention for my post above this is is literally just in the VR Home screen..its terrible.

TheAntiSocializer
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

@Vartazian Oh boy, PCVR issues. Those aren't any fun (from what I've experienced anyways lol) Let's take a look see. 

Regarding your GPU, I'm not able to find it listed in either our Rift requirements or our Link requirements. Which headset are you trying to use at the moment by chance? 

I did notice you're using an AMD though, which has had some issues with recent drivers. I'd recommend rolling back a couple versions just to be safe. 

Also, could you answer the following to learn a bit more:

1. Has PCVR worked before, or would this be the first time?
  2. What all have you tried already?

Along with those, if you haven't. Could you try a clean install of the PC app with these steps:

1. Disconnect the Rift/Link cable from the computer.
  2. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
  3. Backup any necessary content.
    • You can find steps on how to do so here.
  4. Reboot into Safe Mode.
  5. Uninstall Oculus PC app using the Control Panel.
  6. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
    • C:\Program Files
  7. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
  8. Restart your computer in normal mode.
  9. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
  10. Install Oculus PC app again using the setup tool from our website here.
  11. Reconnect the Rift/Link cable and re-test the headset.

I'll be looking forward to your update! 🙂

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

Vartazian
Explorer

Hello,

Thank you for the info. I have had PCVR since 2016. This is the Oculus Rift CV1. (waiting out on the quest3) I have had no problems with this rig on both my GTX 980Ti and then my RTX 2080S. Recently bought the AMD 7900 XTX (which is AMD's highest end graphics card for $999) and on flatscreen gaming its roughly the power of the RTX 4080 + 5%, but in VR it seems to be terrible. ITs not just the performance itself that is low but the stutters.  It is not just me, so I don't think uninstalling and doing all that will actually fix anything. I will try soon if you still want me to though. ITs just a large pain to have to setup everything from scratch again. I might try that when i have time later this week.

Both of these posts on AMD's site seem to show the issue I am having.  I think its more than likely just the drivers for this card are terrible. 

I have tried:

Setting priority of OVR Service to high, and setting priority of the game to high. (It doesnt matter what game it is (though i tried it with Assetto Corsa), even the home screen in Oculus is dropping frames. SteamVR also does this, not just Oculus.

Also tried updating drivers to the latest (03-06-23 driver 23.3.1)

Driving sims seem to be okay since you are mostly looking forward, and you can mostly ignore the dropped frames, but if you stop and just start moving your head, about every 5-10 seconds it drops.

See the below articles of other customers having the same or similar issues.

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/7900-xtx-not-usable-for-vr/td-p/566791 and 

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/7900xtx-low-performance-in-steamvr-and-vr-in-general/m-p/56739...

Hmm, alright. Honestly, if it's their highest end GPU and it came out recently. I think that would be the main issue. Our team is always trying to update our GPU requirements on this page. However, when it comes to newer cards it's going to take a while to get full support for them. 

Those GPU requirements just list old AMD cards "Or greater" and nothing about the latest cards not being compatible. I bought an XFX 7900 RT Black and it's a fantastic card - except in VR. Still looking to get back the performance I had with my old 2080 in VR, while flat screen games are over 50% faster.

I didn't say they wouldn't be compatible, I stated if they're not listed they might not be fully supported yet as in they could work but we don't know how well. 

Nothing is listed except a couple of very old cards. There's no useful information there about any cards we actually care about. "NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater" is worthless information when the "or greater" includes recent cards that do not actually work, despite this "claim."

Hey there, @Ken.Otwell! We can definitely understand your concerns with the different GPUs that are compatible with our devices, and we'd be glad to help out! Please reach out to us through the Meta Store Support website and we'll do everything we can to help/answer questions. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

AMD RX 7000 GPU have been release at the same time than Nvidia RTX 4000, one year ago... 

And here (https://www.meta.com/fr-fr/help/quest/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-link/meta-quest-link-...) AMD 7000 series are not yet listed ?!?!

Are you mocking us ?