cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binocular Overlap - Quest 3

thegeezer.2024
Honored Guest

I have an IPD (Pupil Spacing) of 60 and sometimes experience Binocular Overlap when using the Meta Quest 3. Many people with a lower IPD rating have also reported a problem, with some suffering extreme eyestrain, giving them no option other than to return their device. Luckily, I do not seem to get eyestrain but the binocular effect can sometimes ruin the experience a bit.

Has anyone else found this?

I hope the Meta Quest 4 improves on this problem with a LOT more lens adjustments. I joined an AVP forum to ask if users experienced any Binocular Overlap with that, no they said and all adjustments are automatically done!

4 REPLIES 4

kojack
MVP
MVP

You might mean something different, because binocular overlap is vital for VR, its how stereo depth perception works. Most modern VR headsets have a majority binocular overlap, only the edges don't overlap. Human vision is the same, we don't have 100% binocular overlap because your nose blocks the peripheral vision of each eye on one side.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Yobiwan29
Adventurer

You mean a poor binocular overlap... I have the same issue with the Q3, some days it feels annoying, and other days it's ok. I don't know if I will keep this headset yet. I have the Q2 and when I play with it, I can't 100% say it's worse. Fov is bad, but the decent overlap gives to the virtual world a consistency that I cannot experience with the Q3 anymore.

Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

The Quest 3 screens are in a diagonal orientation so the overlap will be greater at the mid elevation. It also contributes to the FOV being nominally greater. Other headset with regular orientation would have a more uniform overlap from top to bottom. No idea really how this compares to human eye overlap but I'm guessing it's a bit circular irl.

Anyway, this could explain why the sensation differs from time to time... if a game has the action predominantly at different vertical levels.

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

SaimonCZ
Honored Guest

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with binocular overlap. Q2 is fine, but with Q3 it is very bad...I am IPD 65 and it ruins my experience a lot...