cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defects on devices causing continuous woes.

gtns1249
Explorer

In less than a month I have been through 2 Meta quest headsets, yes 2!

First was purchased on April 9, arrived April 10. May 3 the headset melted while plugged in using the charger provided in a good, working socket that has no issues charging anything else or anything electrical. Meta support wanted me to send them my headset, wait for approval to replace, and then wait to have the new (by new I mean refurbished) to come in, about a 2 week process for something I am trying to use daily for physical and mental health.

Instead of waiting that ridiculously long time to get something replaced due to a defect that has been RAMPANTLY REPORTED ACROSS THE INTERNET, I returned the device to amazon who happily accepted the return after explaining the defect, and purchased a new headset.

New Headset was purchased May 4. As of May 10, the right controller is now broken. Headset is not tracking it nor recognizing it and all I see is a single blinking white light that flashes every half second or so. Went through all the troubleshooting, tried new batteries, tried existing known working batteries, unpaired and re-paired several times, rebooted the headset multiple times. I reached out to support and the only option yet again was to wait about 2 weeks to get a potentially working product.

What is QA doing if I have essentially purchased 2 faulty products in less than a month from different retailers? What can be done to better this process for the customer? Why are there not more just straight up working devices being shipped to retailers? The entire experience has been sub par and I am beyond frustrated that I have spent almost $1000 on 2 256GB models that apparently just came with faulty products and now me, the customer, am being punished as a result. Hate this whole situation and have since swapped the new headset for a 3rd meta quest 2 that I’ve been using for a couple days now just hoping that it will also not just randomly break less than a month into using the product.

EDIT: 3rd headset now has THE EXACT SAME ISSUE AS THE 2ND! Case number 7346469  with meta support

@MetaQuestSupport 

4 REPLIES 4

ThyRuinedKing
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Yikes, it sounds like you've had a bad experience with the headsets you've received. I'm sorry that happened, that's a very slim chance of happening and you've wounded up with the bad-luck of it all.

Out of curiosity, were all three of these headsets purchased through Amazon or did you happen to purchase some of the others from another retailer or our store directly? I'm curious if it may be Amazon having an issue with malfunctioning devices.

Unfortunately, if all troubleshooting steps provided don't assist, we do look into a replacement to be sent out to users. Sorry if that does cause any inconvenience, I'll be sure to reach out to the current agent assisting you as well.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

P.S., I can beat you at One Piece TCG and Black Desert Online.

@ThyRuinedKing one was purchased from Amazon, two were purchased from Walmart

Hey there! We've received your private message about this issue, and we'll be following up with you shortly! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

gtns1249
Explorer

Posting this publicly so that everyone here on the forums can see this as well.

@MetaQuestSupport reached out to me via DM. I posted this thread to try and highlight the fact that defective products seem to be continually leaving the factory. Again I have been through 3 in less than 60 days. There are reports of the melting headsets and right controllers suddenly stopping working all over these forums and others.

The response from support was "Please work with your retailer to exchange the device". That is not my point. The point is that I have absolutely 0 confidence in the Meta Quest 2 product at this point as the issues I have experienced I can easily find reports for all the way back to when the Quest 2 was first launched. So these issues have been present for years and Meta fails to take action to either recall devices or improve the build. I do not want another Quest 2.

I want something to actually happen at the build and design level of these devices to prevent others and myself from continuing to experience these woes. This is not "Bad Luck". This is a poorly built product that does not work the way it is marketed.

Further, I am having to wait days for responses from them in spite of my frustration, the woes I have been through over the last 2 months as a result, and the mishandling and misunderstanding of every single ticket I have opened regardless of how clear I am with explaining my issues, providing serial numbers, etc. Every single one of these inept agents appears to think I am still on my first headset that melted, though I have explained very thoroughly time and again that this is not the case.

The onus is not on me to prove my case here and fight for the support I deserve in this matter to get Meta to make things right for me. The onus is with Meta to actually provide working products and properly support their users. I am beyond frustrated and disappointed with the everything that has happened since the first headset melted, and no one on the support team seems to understand anything I am saying and continue to either ignore my emails or provide information that has no applicability to my issues. I need Meta to make this right, but they are not budging.