cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone Problems with Quest 2 via Link Cable

Rawrskyes
Honored Guest

Hi all,

Not sure if people here have run into the same issues, but I seem to be having a never ending gauntlet of problems with the microphone on the Quest 2 when connected via link cable. I've gotten it to the point where it can now pick up my voice which is a bonus; but from what I've been told my voice is very distorted in comparison to what it normally sounds like without the link cable.

Here's where I'm at so far...

• My microphone flat out does not work when using SteamVR
  • My microphone DOES work when using the Quest app
  • I CANNOT record my voice to do any actual testing outside of being in an app.
    • Does anyone know how to get around this? It's a pain in the ass having to load up VRC every time and even then it's still other people's thoughts rather than me being able to hear my own voice recording.
  • After disabling some random "Intelligo" noise reduction software that I never wanted on my laptop I'm now getting better sound than what I was, but it's still very faint (according to others)
    • Note that I cannot seem to remove this. It just re installs itself....
  • My microphone is always showing at 50%; from what I've seen this is "normal" although a really stupid thing to not fix.
  • This is a FRESH install of Windows 11. I reinstalled it once I got this laptop the other week
  • I've done every combination of "enable/disable the exclusive use" setting in the control panel
  • I've power cycled the headset, no change
  • I've power cycled the PC, no change
  • I've done them both at once, no change
  • I'm reaching my wits end because there doesn't seem to be any useful way to actually test this and I don't really have any other ideas.
  • I'm also hesitant to contact support because I suspect I'm going to go through the same steps by the level 1 support agents asking me to turn everything off, then on, then back off again, then stare into the sun for 17 seconds to reset my retina display, but not 18 seconds because then I'd need to start the process all over again.

I'm running this on a Dell G15 5520 Laptop, Core i9-12900H, 1070Ti & 16GB RAM (don't laugh). Funnily enough the Oculus app keeps telling me that I don't have the specs for it but the link I click definitely meets the specs.

Short of it is... the microphone is really bad on Oculus VR apps. I can live with Steam VR not working; but a bad mic is no bueno. There's also no easy way to test this as only apps launched via Oculus are picking up the mic.

Anyone got any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @Rawrskyes! Thanks for reaching out. We completely understand how it feels to have issues with your microphone, and we appreciate all of the information you provided in your post. There are a few steps we can give you, however you may have already tried some of them. Please attempt the following steps on the headset while it is not connected to a PC:

• Make sure the microphone is clean and not obstructed (the microphone is 2 pinholes located a few inches apart one on either side of the nose)
  • Reboot the headset
  • Test with multiple games/apps in standalone
  • Reset Microphone
    • This setting can be found:
      Settings > System > Sound > Toggle Microphone
  • Factory Reset

Once you've tried these steps feel free to reach back out and let us know if there is any change. Thanks!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey again @Rawrskyes. We are just reaching back out to see if you are still having issues with your microphone. We look forward to hearing back from you, and getting this situation figured out. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!