cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus's serial interface causes WDF_VIOLATION crashes on Windows 11

ReduxPL
Level 3

Recently I switched to Windows 11. All fine and good, except I've been getting occasional WDF_VIOLATION BSODs when shutting down my PC. Analyzing the crash minidump with BlueScreenView led me to the "usbser.sys" driver used by a... COM3 serial port, which I didn't know existed in my system. Initially I thought it was a serial port on my motherboard, which has a header present on it, but nothing plugged into it.

By unplugging USB devices one by one, I found out the source of this "serial port" - it was the Rift S.

What does the Rift S need this serial port for? Can it be disabled? How do I solve these crashes outside of keeping my Rift S unplugged while not in use?

3 REPLIES 3

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey ReduxPL! Windows 11 is not yet supported with our Oculus PC software. To ensure the best performance, please use Windows 10. Please stay tuned to our social media for any news on when this will be updated!

If you have more questions or need help with anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. 

I understand, which is why I'm reporting this issue here, so hopefully you'll be able to fix this problem before announcing official compatibility with Windows 11 - because as far as I'm concerned, this is the only issue I'm having with the Rift S and Windows 11. Just this random BSOD on shutdown, all else works fine.

I have a lot of programs and files on my PC and backing up + restoring everything takes me a lot of time, so I'm sticking with Windows 11 for good 🙂 

Is there some sort of issue tracker where I could potentially report and track this issue?

Hey there, we understand your situation and see why doing so would cause problems and be time consuming. We do have a bug report feature which you can access here which will help us improve our products and software. We hope this helped, and we thank you for the help!