cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 - I can feel the proximity sensor

JohnMorningstar
Honored Guest

I feel something on my forehead in the same spot that would be across from the hole or sensor between the eyepieces and then the Meta Quest 2 will shut down as though I've pulled it away from my head. This has happened about 8 times over the weeks. 

8 REPLIES 8

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @JohnMorningstar! Thank you for letting us know about the issue you are having with your headset. We would like to help you with this and get this issue resolved for you. First, we would like to ask you a few questions so that we can make sure we understand correctly. 

• Are you using an eyeglass spacer? If so, please make sure that it is seated correctly and is not blocking the proximity sensor.
  • Are you using a facial interface? If so, please make sure that it is seated correctly and is not blocking the proximity sensor.
  • Make sure that nothing is getting inside the headset under the facial interface, like hair or anything.

Please check those things first; if that is not what's causing the issue, please reach back out to us so that we can finish helping you with this issue. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, @JohnMorningstar! We realized that we have not heard anything back from you regarding our most recent conversation. If you could please get back to us as soon as possible, so that we can further assist you. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I'm not using the eyeglass spacer. It is not my hair or anything external to the device. What is the sensor in the device between the eyes and is there any way it could be doing something that I would be able to feel?

The small, oval-shaped display between the two lenses, is both the forehead proximity sensor and the IPD (inter-pupillary distance). It shows the setting currently selected, from 1-3. However, this is deeply inset on the headset, and should not be able to be felt. Could you provide a photo of your headset?

Knock, knock! Just checking back in with you, as we'd love to help you get to the bottom of what could be causing this peculiar sensation! Please provide us a photo, or let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

IMG_5076.jpgIMG_5077.jpg

This is the inside of my headset. Yes, I don't see what could be doing that. My hair is short and only covering a very small part of my forehead but I feel the sensation where I've marked in the second picture and a couple of seconds after feeling it my screen shuts off. There's nothing in my headset or on my head that can be causing that. The only thing I can think of is something from the sensors output. How is it sensing my head and is there any way it could be causing a physical sensation.  

Thanks for the swift reply, @JohnMorningstar! We certainly want to help get to the bottom of what might be causing that, so we'd like you to go through some questions and steps for us. When you get the chance, try out the following and get back to us when you can:

• If you haven't already, please hard reboot your headset with these steps and let us know if the issue persists from there:
    • Turn off your headset.
    • Firmly hold the power and volume down (-) buttons on your headset simultaneously until the boot screen loads on your headset.
    • Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Boot device.
  • We also highly suggest following our recommended cleaning practices to thoroughly clean your headset and ensure nothing is interfering with that proximity sensor. 
  • When the screen shuts off, does the whole headset power down, or is the headset display just going dark? 

Hey there! We just wanted to swing by to continue working with you to gather more details of your experience with your device. Whenever you're ready, we'll be here and happy to help!

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?