cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Thumb and Index Finger Position Sensor does not work in Airlink/PC-Link

Arkiefox
Explorer

The last couple of times the Oculus software (not Windows, just Oculus) updated on the PC resulted in the side effect where the thumb and index finger position sensors no longer work -- the hand in the Oculus PC environment remains in a "claw grip" and doesn't respond to how I move my thumb and index finger.  I have to completely uninstall Oculus software, delete Oculus related folders in AppData, and then reinstall the Oculus software in order for it to start functioning again.

In the native Quest environment, the thumb and index finger position sensors work normally, so it is an issue specifically with the Airlink/PC-Link environment and triggered when the Oculus software is updated.

I reported this to Quest Support, and they (Renata) recommended going here to engage development.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arkiefox
Explorer

It's still working, so I'm going to Accept As Solution for now.  I'll reopen if things fall apart after the next update.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sotalo
Explorer

I can report the same problem, only it stopped working in home for me, too. It just stopped working completely for me today.

MAJ161.RED
Protege

I have the same problem.

I have been using a Link cable and sometimes Airlink with my Quest 2 for months.

The controllers (which work fine normally when playing Quest games) have developed a strange quirk playing PC games.

I can no longer extend my index fingers or thumbs. I can grip but when I lift my real index fingers and/or thumbs, the virtual ones don't extend.

This happens with Link cable and Air Link, so it's not the cable.

I have tested this with two Quest 2 headsets (with two sets of controllers), on Link cable (with two separate cables) and with Air Link. Mine aren't working in the Oculus Home environment. Perhaps it has something to do with a recent update but then I would expect more people to be reporting this issue but others, including Nera123 have also reported this problem recently.

My Oculus app (on PC): Oculus app version 40.0.0.105.333 (40.0.0.105.333)

MAJ161.RED
Protege

Problem fixed!

I'm not sure why. Two things happened, either of which could have done it.

Firstly, I followed the advice of TomC69 who suggested I run a Repair on the desktop Oculus app. It was quite easy to do. I have a Rift - not Rift S - so I followed the instructions on the Meta website HERE

I have a Rift - not Rift S - so I scrolled right to the bottom at www.oculus.com/setup and downloaded the software.

When it had installed, I put on my Quest 2 and, coincidentally, there was an update waiting - so I updated the headset operating system from 39 to 40.

Then I plugged in my Link cable and, voila, my controllers are working properly now - and I have been playing Lone Echo 2 for the last few hours.

The textures for items in the Oculus PC Home environment took a while to re-establish after running the Repair but it's all good now.

So either running the Repair fixed the problem, or the update did. Thanks, TomC69, for your help.

Arkiefox
Explorer

After the most recent software update to Quest 2 unit itself, it seems like the finger position sensors are working again in the PC Link environment.  I'll hold my breath until after the next Oculus PC software update before declaring the issue resolved.

Arkiefox
Explorer

It's still working, so I'm going to Accept As Solution for now.  I'll reopen if things fall apart after the next update.