cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Explorers? Legit or Scam?

cj7hawk
Explorer

Hi All, I got an email supposedly from Meta regarding Quest Explorers, a research group. The email itself seems reasonably legit, and it links to a lot of content within Meta and eventually takes you to a site called "questexplorers.com" which asks for login information. 

Can anyone confirm, is this a legit research community, or is it a scam?

Thanks

David

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

biscuitsngravyy
Retired Support

Hey @cj7hawk, thanks for bringing this to our attention. This site is 100% not affiliated with Meta or Meta Quest. If you are going to sign up, please do so at your own risk as we cannot confirm where your information is going or what it will be used for. 

55 BURGERS 55 FRIES 55 TACOS 55 PIES 55 COKES 100 TATER TOTS 100 PIZZAS 100 TENDERS 100 MEATBALLS 100 COFFEES 55 WINGS 55 SHAKES 55 PANCAKES 55 PASTAS 55 PEPPERS AND 155 TATERS

View solution in original post

cj7hawk
Explorer

Quest explorers is back, and is once again claiming to be Meta.

This time the URL is https://www.arvr-researchcommunity.com/h/s2/5qpiQJ3K4Ai9zkKbgfqoeb

They have fake Meta Terms and Conditions.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

aimeefontaine
Explorer

I got the same email and joined, its been great so far.  A great way to share your thoughts in the forums and complete the surveys.  I've even won and received one of the credits / vouchers for participating.  Love the section where you can also add your ideas on what should we discuss next. Look forward to being a lot more involved. 

amended: see details in comment below, not accredited with Meta. So far it has been ok but will revisit whether I continue now I have the official response too. 

biscuitsngravyy
Retired Support

Hey @cj7hawk, thanks for bringing this to our attention. This site is 100% not affiliated with Meta or Meta Quest. If you are going to sign up, please do so at your own risk as we cannot confirm where your information is going or what it will be used for. 

55 BURGERS 55 FRIES 55 TACOS 55 PIES 55 COKES 100 TATER TOTS 100 PIZZAS 100 TENDERS 100 MEATBALLS 100 COFFEES 55 WINGS 55 SHAKES 55 PANCAKES 55 PASTAS 55 PEPPERS AND 155 TATERS

Thanks for clarifying this. It’s good to know it’s not affiliated. 

Not sure if handy or not for further follow up @biscuitsngravyy but they do put this in statement. I’ll be removing my account. Thanks for replying to the thread. 

Meta Platforms Technologies, LLC (also known as “Meta Quest”) sponsors the Community Site (defined below) for research purposes. Ipsos and Meta Reality Labs are collectively referred to herein as “we”, “us” or “our”.

HI @aimeefontaine and @biscuitsngravyy  - Yes, that was the bit I questioned. It clearly states that their actions are sponsored by Meta Platforms Technologies LLC - and is carried out by a market research company IPSOS, which is not a small group. The site owners appear to be bona fide. I did sign up and have been cautious as all the checks I was able to do suggested they were legitimate.

I've been there a few weeks now, and it doesn't appear to be a scam, however they do make the claim as Aimee said, clearly suggests a major connection with Oculus/Meta... And it's not just a static site, but they do genuinely update content and collect what could reasonably be regarded as genuine market research and from what I can tell, the site has been active for quite some time. 

The site itself can't be logged into without an account, and that's by invitation only, but the terms that Aimee mentioned clearly claim an official link and has a substantial user base of participants. They clearly target new Quest users also, and know their email address and that they have recently purchased a quest, so they are almost certainly getting this information from Meta somehow.

Buiscuits - Could you please escalate and look into this further and reconfirm/update your response? From what I can tell having spent a bit of time researching it, it's either a case that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, or Oculus/Meta have a serious information leak and need to take action. It would be helpful to know which is correct so that I, like Aimee, can move to take steps to ensure safety online and understanding how our data from from Meta to Questexplorers would be helpful in knowing what action to take to achieve this.

I really do appreciate the comment and initial confirmation, and it is worrying if what the site claims is not true. 😞  And I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Cambridge Analytica event 😞

Thanks again,

David

cj7hawk
Explorer

Quest explorers is back, and is once again claiming to be Meta.

This time the URL is https://www.arvr-researchcommunity.com/h/s2/5qpiQJ3K4Ai9zkKbgfqoeb

They have fake Meta Terms and Conditions.