cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Oculus Avatars and other horrible deficiencies

Sorro420
Honored Guest

So I've been reading that many people have accidentally picked the wrong avatars and then become stuck with it..there's no way to change it without deleting the account and starting over.. I know I don't speak for myself when I say that this is just horrible programming.. also lazy.. it's bad enough we all have spent $400+ on a device that doesn't allow us to connect to our computer without the "Link", or 3rd Party Apps.. we can't play our own PC games using the headset as it's own monitor... the games are all very short and brutally expensive with S****Y graphics.. I feel like after all the Trails and Errors the Consumers have had to put up with over the years while the Devs tried to "perfect" their devices, to justify charging us up the A** for a device that doesn't allow us to do much, our complaints and suggestions were ignored.. they just added "bells and whistles" to a turd, and tell us it's improved.. like how come we can't play our own games? Yes they'd still be "2D" but we should be allowed to use our device as a 2nd monitor for whatever PC or console we're using.. and how come we can't even change our Avatar if we mistakenly selected the wrong one because of the horrible menu interface? Or how about the Age limit thing? If we're all suppose to be a certain age, why does every game have screaming kids playing? Like these are pretty common issues people are having and Oculus is doing F**K All about it?! We all paid good money for a device that isn't even properly finished.. or even being updated with the issues people are having.. like wtf is wrong with the devs of Oculus? They're ruining the potential that VR has, because of their ignorance.. like: Dev 1: "oh hey people are having these issues..what should we do?".. Dev 2: "Oh I know! Let's put a feature in that no one will use, add a new theme, and come out with another unfinished game that we can charge $35+ for and then call it a day!".. 🤦‍:male_sign:.. seriously..

whatever happened to Quality Assurance and Control?

6 REPLIES 6

kojack
MVP
MVP

@Sorro420 wrote:

So I've been reading that many people have accidentally picked the wrong avatars and then become stuck with it..there's no way to change it without deleting the account and starting over.

If you are using a Quest: In the headset click on your profile on the dash. Click on "Edit Avatar".

If you are using a Rift: Click on Edit Avatar on the dash.

No need to delete your account.

@Sorro420 wrote:

it's bad enough we all have spent $400+ on a device that doesn't allow us to connect to our computer without the "Link", or 3rd Party Apps.. we can't play our own PC games using the headset as it's own monitor...

It allows you to play PC games with 3 different methods: Link (just a USB cable. Any good USB 3 cable can potentially work), Airlink (use Wifi) or buy the 3rd party app Virtual Desktop (also wifi). That's pretty good considering it's not even a PC headset.

@Sorro420 wrote:

and how come we can't even change our Avatar if we mistakenly selected the wrong one because of the horrible menu interface?

Easy to change avatars as shown above.

@Sorro420 wrote:

to justify charging us up the A** for a device that doesn't allow us to do much

Try having a look at how much other headsets cost. The Quest is the cheapest of the decent quality headsets. The Valve Index is Can$1319 for the full kit. The HP Reverb G2 is Can$849. Neither can do native stand alone.

@Sorro420 wrote:

like how come we can't play our own games? Yes they'd still be "2D" but we should be allowed to use our device as a 2nd monitor for whatever PC or console we're using

Click the monitor icon on the dash.

I just started Dishonored 2 (not a VR game) and ran it fine in my Rift using the built in desktop display feature.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Most of this doesn't fall under quality assurance/control.  QA/QC just make sure it does what the developers and design team intend for its function.  QC typically control defects from leaving factory.

The headsets now are about 5 to 6 million audience, with more than 1/3 of market share when compared against other headsets, i think they have an idea of what they are doing.

At the price points its sold at 399-256/299-128/199-64R, it knows what it is doing. HTC, Valve, and others can't come close to the 199 complete pcvr headset running higher resolution than index, and fps on par with index.

It might not do the things you want it to do, Or it may not do it exactly the way you want it.  But the meta/oculus team knows what a vast majority of people want it to do, and the sales show. 

When was the last time the index got a new feature?   Years Ago.  

Oculus/Meta roll out with new features monthly

It has the most extensive library (Applab, Sidequest, Oculus (stand-alone), Oculus PC, steam PC).

The process you just stated for changing an avatar is incorrect.  There is no way to change it in "edit avatar".

What exactly are you trying to do that edit avatar can't?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

My avatar is set up as a man. Once it's set up there is no place to change it to a woman. If you know of a way, please enlighten me.

kojack
MVP
MVP

There is no man or woman avatar setting as such.

All of the collection of initial presets it shows when you first go to make an avatar are made using the same available options in the avatar editor. You can change gender of any of them by choosing different body and clothing. For example breast size is decided by both clothing and body,

compare.jpg

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?