cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Install games on external SSD

Glenn-Tidbury
Honored Guest

So I've recently decided to get back into vr. Bought a new 2tb ssd so that I could install all my games onto it without fear of clogging up my main gaming drive.

I have about 5 games that just will not install. They download upto the first 100Mb of data (with some only downloading literally a few kb) and then fail with an error "Sorry, we couldn't install".

I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothings worked. I read that some games NEED to use the default install directory (which I had previously removed, as I had set up the default directory on a totally separate drive).

I can't add the default directory back though. Even no it's no longer listed under settings/general/install locations/edit, if I try to add it back, it just says that I couldn't add this location because

The problem games are:-

-Alpine Ski VR

-Dirt Rally 2.0

-Mervils: a VR adventure

-oogie

-the elevator ritual

-we wait

6 REPLIES 6

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Glenn-Tidbury. Thanks for reaching out. We see that you are having a bit of difficulty installing games. Something like this can definitely take all the fun out of your VR experience, and we want to help you with this. We do have a few questions for you so we can get to the root of the issues. Can you tell us the following?

Can you send us a copy of the error message?

When did this start happening?

What troubleshooting have you done so far? So don't duplicate what you have done. 

We're looking forward to your reply.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Glenn-Tidbury
Honored Guest

-The message says "Sorry, we couldn't install (game title here). Visit Oculus support to get help."

-I've only just started installing my games again this weekend, but it could very well be an old issue. It's only affected these 6 games listed, all of my others have installed fine.

-So far I have tried:-

--re-installing the oculus software, using the "repair" option.

--rebooting the pc.

--adding a file to the oculuslibrarian folder (I saw online there was a file there somewhere that's relating to the encryption/decryption of data, and that replacing it might fix these errors.....as it happens, that file wasn't even in the folder....adding it didn't fix anything either.

--changing install to a different directory

--changing the install to a different drive

one thing I'd like to try, but can't is installing to the default directory on the default "C:" drive. I can't because, without thinking, I'd previously removed that default folder from the "/settings/general/library locations" section of the app, as I was not using it, so figured why have it listed there.....but if I try to add it back it jsut says "An Error Occurred. You’ve already added this folder as a location. Please try adding a different folder (1971039)."

Hey again, @Glenn-Tidbury. Thanks for your response and letting us know what all you have done.

We see that you have done quite a bit of troubleshooting already, but have you done a factory reset on the device? If not, here is how.

First, we would like you to do a cloud backup first.

To perform a factory reset using your phone:

1. Open the Meta Quest app on your phone.
  2. Tap Devices in the bottom menu.
  3. Tap the headset connected to your phone.
  4. Tap Advanced Settings.
  5. Tap Factory Reset and then Reset.

To perform a factory reset using the headset:

1. Turn off your headset.
  2. Hold the power and volume (-) button on your headset down simultaneously until the boot screen loads on your headset.
  3. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Factory Reset and press the power button.
  4. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Yes and press the power button.

Please let us know how this goes for you. We are happy to help.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Glenn-Tidbury
Honored Guest

perhaps I wasn't very clear.

This isn't a device issue. This is on the oculus software on my PC. I'm not going to factory reset my quest headset as this has absolutely zero bearing on my pc's software.

Hi there, @Glenn-Tidbury.Thank you for clarifying that for us. We know how tedious troubleshooting can be, and we appreciate all the hard work done so far. However, at this time, we would recommend contacting our amazing support team. There, one of our awesome agents can get you back on track through a live chat or even by submitting a ticket. Just click here to get connected! We want to get you back in the VR world soon and hope to see your ticket!

Glenn-Tidbury
Honored Guest

Fyi, if anyone has the issue of not being able to add the default install directory again, after once removing it....I found a solution. Uninstall the oculus software, delete any and all oculus folders on your main drive, including those in appdata and it's sub folders.

This alone is not enough though, if you just reinstall the oculus software, it still remembers the previous settings from the app, and the default install location is still missing. 

You also need to go into registry editor and search for any entry related to oculus. There is probably a specific registry entry which holds the information about the install locations, but not knowing which it was, I just deleted every entry relating to oculus.

Then reboot and reinstall oculus software and you'll have the default install location restored. 

Unfortunately, it didn't help with my 6 titles being unable to download. It seems to me that these titles must have errors away oculus' end.