cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The website ignores me when I dont want its cookies...

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I've decided that I care about my privacy, and I configured my browser to send "to-not-track-me" message.
Ever since I've not been able to log into the Oculus forum.
What the hell is going on???
5 REPLIES 5

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Any web site with a “log in” function needs cookies to track you as a user. You can use the site without being logged in, but you lose out on features like seeing what threads have new content, etc.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cookies can be missed used sure, but their main reason to even existed is to know who you are when logging in. It's like your ID so who you said you were when you log in so others can not simple start acting like you over the same network gaining access to your information.

Possible for you to say witch ones are good or bad - most things do allow you do that if they auto block cookies.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The internet is the worst place to be if someone cares about privacy. IP addresses are tracked on the forums, and internet service providers Monitor and collect all browsing activity.

I'm pretty paranoid about privacy too... but having the cookies on your PC while you're using a website isn't really the problem... it's when websites share information about you without your knowledge and use those cookies as part of that process. Simple solution is delete cookies after you've left the site or set your security software to do it on a regular basis.

Even when there are no security concerns... I get super annoyed at targeted ads, they're just so dumb. Whenever I search for something to buy I know I'm then going to get that same thing pop up on every other website I visit as an ad.

I mean, how did they think I managed to find it in the first place before they started throwing the ads at me? and now that I've found it... why would I want to see more ads about it?

Ok calm down.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I couldn't give a rat ass about cookies, but one thing I do hate and that's when I can't read a newspaper without getting all these adverts. They are getting worse and worse even with a popup blocker, which I'm constantly told to disable.