cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if a buy a laptop with a 4050 am i ok

PureN00bage
Honored Guest

hi 

So if I buy a laptop with say a i7 16 gig ram and 4050 i can use the link cable . I have a laptop now with a 3050ti and it is not supported . Should i get a laptop with a 4060 instead , and would it make much difference if i get 32 gig ddr5 ram over 16 gigs . I dont really game much on a PC ( i play CS2 and that's about it) so i dont need a killer 3000$ laptop. I just really want to try 1/2 life alex and may be a few VR titles . I just got the quest 3 like 3 days ago and this thing blows me away (even had to upgrade my router to a 6e ,  my wifi 5 just didnt cut it for streaming 4k moves . 

A lot of questions i know and i'm sorry to bother but I'm a bit over whelmed . 

Thank you for your time.

4 REPLIES 4

Anyverse
Adventurer

The minimum RAM is 8GB but in 2024 you should really have 16GB as minimum in dual channel configuration, meaning dual sticks so the workload is paralelised.

If you go with 32GB then use 2 modules instead of a single module as that performs faster without overclocking your RAM. You can get reliable non overclocked modules at DDR5-5600.

You might not need a 4060 card for casual use. You can read more about the supported graphics cards in this compatibility list.

https://www.meta.com/en-gb/help/quest/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-link/requirements-que...

There are some new cards that are not supported even though they appear to have the minimum VRAM requirements and more features. That's because they have not been added to the compatibility list as these are added individually and not determined by the Meta Quest app by checking the hardware capabilities at runtime. Newer cards are supported with Quest PC app updates.

In some cases the laptop variants of cards are considerably underpowered compared to their desktop counterparts while still sharing the same name. When you compare the actual specifications or run benchmarks you might find it performs slower than an older card. Definitely read reviews for mobile variants of graphics cards.

If your card is just released you should get in touch with them with your graphics card information and they might update it to the list of supported cards if it is compatible.

I compared the most minimum supported cards the Nvidia RTX 1060 6GB and the AMD RX 470 4GB.

These are the common minimum features...

Support for;

Minimum PCI-Express 3.0 or above

DX11, DX12, OpenGL 4.5, Vulkan 1.0 API

These APIs are translated into OpenGL ES 3.1 and Vulkan 1.3 by the Quest app.

Nice to have features but not required

- Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW)

- Variable Rate Shading (VRS)

- Ray Tracing

- USB-C 3.0/3.2 connection with Power Delivery

The Link cable aims to provide a refresh rate of 72Hz to the headset.

AMD RX 470

- 4GB GDDR5

- 256bit memory interface width

- 2048 Cores

- 60-90Hz refresh rate in VR

- 926-1206MHz

- 1080p, 1440p, or up to 4K with reduced settings

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

- 6GB GDDR5

- 1280 CUDA Cores

- 192bit memory interface bus

-1506-1708MHz

- 60-90Hz refresh rate in VR

- 1080p, 1440p

This gives some further guidance on more recent cards

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/The-lowest-spec-for-Meta-Quest-2/td-p/1149968

When it comes to downloading games from SteamVR the speed is not only dependent on your Internet connection, the processor can help also. The faster your processor is, the quicker it is at unpacking and installing updates. If load times are an issue, then an SSD or NVME drive is the best way of addressing that and you'll be able to use DirectStorage with DX12 games as that becomes widely implemented. The price of these drives are not too different from traditional drives.

When it comes to picking a gaming focused computer you have to pair the processor with the graphics card, so that the processor is not bottlenecking the graphics cards and vice versa. This is useful...

https://youtu.be/_6zGlk8y1Ks

You can see what most people are using in the Steam Survey

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

In summary when choosing a processor

- clock speed is less important than instructions per clock. If the clock speed is high, then you should choose a processor with a high number of IPC also, this allows it to do more in each cycle. This is better than using a processor having a high clock with small number of IPC. Or if the clock speed is lower, having a higher number of IPC can still allow it to complete more tasks in each cycle.

- Compare benchmarks of processors to confirm it's actual capabilities

- core count helps reduce bottlenecking if the application is optimised to utilize the extra cores.

- more cache on chip helps reduce time fetching data

- higher clock speed can also indicate higher temperatures and possible tradeoffs

- a processor with reasonably high base clock speed and dynamic clock speed is better for gaming but less better for battery.

- processors focusing on mobility are usually under clocked for efficiency and battery longevity

- computers built for creative applications or gaming have faster components and better thermal solutions for the extra temperatures they generate

- avoid integrated graphics and instead prefer dedicated graphics with 6GB VRAM or higher

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@PureN00bage  Pretty simple imho.  If you must get a laptop get it with at least an i9 13th gen cpu, rtx4070, and 32Gb ddr5 ram.  Laptops aren’t something you can upgrade cpu/gpu later so you want to buy something powerful enough to handle PCVR apps for at least the next few years.  In any case, your $’s so your decision.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

As others have said - if you must get a laptop I'd go for the best GPU you can afford, especially over RAM.  I think 16GB of RAM is ok, especially if you're having to consider cost.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

The i9 limits it to people with a bigger budget. Although it offers exceptional performance, it's not a necessary requirement and it's possible to achieve good performance with i5 and i7. It's really ideal for Media Creators that rely most on processor intensive tasks like video encoding.

The manufacturer actually recommends balanced builds. This is possible by pairing a recent processor that have higher cores with the faster graphics.

Actual benchmarks show you won't get bottlenecks where the GPU is waiting for the processor to complete with i5-13600K with the highest current generation graphics card.

When this does happen, its likely a driver optimisation issue and not the hardware.

This video focuses on the Arc graphics cards but the idea is the same across other graphics cards.

https://youtu.be/Gxuj9t9CXyk

While an i9 offers the absolute best performance, a decent paired processor and graphics card can offer near to that performance at a lower cost and your pocket will thank you for it.