cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full-Dive Technology Idea

DarkArcherz
Honored Guest
Ok. Hey guys i have a rough theory of how full-dive could work.

Take an EEG, used to measure electrical impulses of the brain. If you would use a tech like that to send signals back as well as receive them, while at the same time diverting them into the PC (Player Character) rather than into a persons real body, then there is the full dive system right there. The only problem would be how to calibrate it all, but with the advanced tech we have, I have no doubt that it could be done.

There's my theory. I think it could work but if you have doubts just tell me and i'll try to improve it!
😄
69 REPLIES 69

Leonard_Powers
Explorer
The mapping currently available is not one-to-one.
You can program a signal to fire of a button or function, but not capture the actual signals used to move your arms or legs.

Maybe in the future...

cerebral
Honored Guest
until today you can't put any signal accurately into your brain. transcranial magnetic stimulation is what yuo can to to put in commands. But those really are only super-rough stimulation that have nothing to do with putting well defined signals in. You can grab some EEG signals with sth like the emotiv epoc, but again, very rough signals.
You can't grab signals from the surface of your head very well and it wont be possible , my guess.
They best way to access your brain would be a peripheral nerve interface in your forearm for example.
You could grab motoric signals and could put in touch signals. This will be insane. :lol:

DarkArcherz
Honored Guest
hmmm... well said. but if we had scientists to do that stuff it could/will happen but maybe we could try it though. It would still put you in the game i think. but my theory is actually not a crazy one compared to ones ive seen on other sites

Guspaz
Honored Guest
If using a gaming peripheral requires invasive surgery, then yeah, I think the idea is pretty darned crazy!

saviornt
Protege
50 years or so according to that Michio guy.

cerebral
Honored Guest
"saviornt" wrote:
50 years or so according to that Michio guy.

more like 5(research state), my guess, IF we are talking about bugging some peripheral nerves.
I don't think we need to penetrate the brain at all , same for the singularity.
If we are going to live eternally (or very long) than more likely by regenerating our brain via stem cell therapies.
The future lays in medicine and molecular cell biology for the singularity. Surprise, surprise...
Creating eternal life with stem cells is possible(those things live already forever), it only remains to see how to keep those very comlex cell structures in our brain in shape.
So we have already this super machine (called a brain consisting of billion memristors) that we need for singularity(we only have to develop a neat tech to regenerate it). And perhaps it was 'Gods' plan that evolution went this way. I mean we couldn't have developed without this exhausting live/die evolution cycle. But now we have the tools to turn this annoying thing off more or less.
My 2 coins on the singularity. I guess i have mutated to a crazy frankensteinish..... :lol:

DarkArcherz
Honored Guest
I think 5 years as well but getting brain surgery? That's definitely a no. But my idea could maybe still have a chance. All we need to do is get someone to test it because it wouldn't need a brain chip and one guy said that the signals wouldn't be that strong but could be received meaning that it could put you in a game but sometimes you could have trouble moving. Any scientists reading this YOU MUST TRY MY IDEA PLEASE. 🙂

cerebral
Honored Guest
look here, after DARPA recently presented a neuroimplant arm prothesis another research team has done it. 😄

jakethedrake
Honored Guest
"DarkArcherz" wrote:
I think 5 years as well but getting brain surgery? That's definitely a no. But my idea could maybe still have a chance. All we need to do is get someone to test it because it wouldn't need a brain chip and one guy said that the signals wouldn't be that strong but could be received meaning that it could put you in a game but sometimes you could have trouble moving. Any scientists reading this YOU MUST TRY MY IDEA PLEASE. 🙂

An EEG gives us about as much insight into the activity of the brain as putting the palm of your hand on the hood of a car gives you insight into the precise structures and mechanical workings of its engine. The data is 100% useless junk for the purposes you are suggesting, and even if it weren't, interpreting and interfacing with that data in any meaningful way isn't even CLOSE to being possible with today's technology. The human brain is a vastly, stupefyingly complex system, filled with countless structures and subsystems that are subtly different in each individual. We are only just beginning to understand, on a very basic level, how certain parts of the brain might work, but even then it's hard to overstate the depth of our ignorance.

So yes, your theory is indeed a "crazy" one, in that it is complete fantasy that gives no thought whatsoever to how such a system would operate on any level. It's not as simple as throwing a "scientist" at the problem and waiting for the magic to happen.