cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLACK MARK ON THIS BOARD AND OCULUS - Will i recommend a product like this?

PITTCANNA
Visionary

I can't hold back anymore.  While I was not affected by the logout and duplication (database deletion/bug).  This must be the biggest misstep in oculus history.  This board is terrible, and customer relations are TERRIBLE, even if users were not directly affected by THE COMPLETE INCOMPETENCE ON THE BACKEND SERVER MANAGEMANT TEAM, this should push the issue for FACEBOOK GETTING THE HECK OUT OCULUS PERIOD.  While users are mishandling the situation to a certain degree, I cannot in good conscious blame them, it was clearly a fault with oculus team and there appointed members that should bear the responsibility of the SEVERE BLACK MARK ON OCULUS.

Lets all agree the mods, support and admins are directly responsible for the downfall of this forum. I can't stress how much all the PR team and oculus appointed staff mods, admins etc are 100% in the wrong for the handling of this black mark on the oculus brand.

• if you didn't search twitter users would have been screwed
  • no official statement on the oculus website
  • no official statement on facebook page or the actual twitter page
  • I am calling bs on Oculus Ryan, who has done an unbelievable disservice to this board and community for not getting a lid on it
  • Moving threads into a misidentified topic that really is just bitch-fest at this point for disgruntled users
  • The mods and admins should be posting real information as to was caused the stain on oculus legacy
  • How the hell am i supposed to recommend this device if the people appointed to educate the users are doing a terrible job
  • A pinned thread created a good 8 hours after the rampant issue took place
  • Even the pinned thread really doesn't discuss sufficient steps to contact users

I CAN NOT IN GOOD FAITH THINK THE MODS AND ADMINS ARE ACTUALLY FIT TO RUN THIS BOARD. OVER THE PAST WEEK THERE COMPLETE INABILITY STOP MISINFORMANTION, CALM THE USERS, GAIN BACK THE USER TRUST, AND DO THE JOB OF THE FACE OF THE COMMUNITY HAS BEEN COMPLETELY BELOW PAR.

45 REPLIES 45

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@DaftnDirect @kojack @Ryanality  @nalex66 - This is a double post. Could we get this deleted to help keep the forum clean?

This post already exists here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/Taking-a-step-back-from-this-forum-It-s-not-what-it-used-to-b...

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

I can't find anything wrong with what you wrote. I've been in information technology on all fronts professionally for 25 years. I agree with you. The company deserves to be treated as seriously as how they have approached the last catastrophe, and that's too bad. They need to retain professional I.T. folks that are experienced. That goes for all tiers, from server crews to frontline support folks. I can only guess as to what happened. I would think that it was some sort of data breach or massive hardware failure(s) related to data servers. Either way, the backup and restore infrastructures are clearly flawed and too slow to respond efficiently in a timely manner. They also clearly made the choice to keep quiet on the matter. Of course, I don't have the numbers. Maybe the accounts that were affected are very few compared to the full user base and that's why they don't think it is worth broadcasting meaningful statuses?

I want the Quest 2 platform to succeed and have a bright future. I love the actual product and I love PCVR.

Thing is, PCVR folks are smart and educated (for the most part). Keeping quiet is not good.

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

@Zenbane wrote:

@DaftnDirect @kojack @Ryanality - This is a double post. Could we get this deleted to help keep the forum clean?

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/Taking-a-step-back-from-this-forum-It-s-not-what-it-used-to-b...

It needs to be clear this forum no deletion.  Deletion will entail the mods and admins are not owning up.

If deleted i will post this every day until mods and admins apologize for there insubordination. 

@PITTCANNA wrote:

@Zenbane wrote:

@DaftnDirect @kojack @Ryanality - This is a double post. Could we get this deleted to help keep the forum clean?

It needs to be clear this forum no deletion.  Deletion will entail the mods and admins are not owning up.

If deleted i will post this every day until mods and admins apologize for there insubordination. 

You already posted it in the proper thread. Creating a new thread to duplicate a post is against the forum rules, spam, and intentionally launching an attack on the forum.

Perhaps you should consider "taking a step back from the forum" as you openly stated you were going to do. Ever since you said you were going to take a step back, you have instead taken a step forward and starting attacking the forum. That is the actual insubordination lol

@Bendit74 wrote:

They also clearly made the choice to keep quiet on the matter.

I've been in information technology on all fronts professionally for 25 years.

Thing is, PCVR folks are smart and educated (for the most part). Keeping quiet is not good.

They have not been quiet on the matter at all. Information was provided by Meta on Facebook and Twitter, and the Mods shared that information on this forum as well.

From our last discussion, you have a strong bias against Stand-Alone in favor of PCVR, and it seems you are using that bias to bandwagon this thread.

Also, I have been in the IT front for over 20 years as well. Having worked with multiple Fortune 1,000 companies including multiple Tech giants, I can say with certainty that I have witness first-hand significantly worse handling of problems and outages (including disaster recovery and backup management) with multiple global organizations. If you truly have 25 years of Info Tech experience, then I am hard pressed to believe you haven't experienced the same.

@Bendit74 wrote:

I can't find anything wrong with what you wrote. I've been in information technology on all fronts professionally for 25 years. I agree with you. The company deserves to be treated as seriously as how they have approached the last catastrophe, and that's too bad. They need to retain professional I.T. folks that are experienced. That goes for all tiers, from server crews to frontline support folks. I can only guess as to what happened. I would think that it was some sort of data breach or massive hardware failure(s) related to data servers. Either way, the backup and restore infrastructures are clearly flawed and too slow to respond efficiently in a timely manner. They also clearly made the choice to keep quiet on the matter. Of course, I don't have the numbers. Maybe the accounts that were affected are very few compared to the full user base and that's why they don't think it is worth broadcasting meaningful statuses?

I want the Quest 2 platform to succeed and have a bright future. I love the actual product and I love PCVR.

Here's the thing i understand some minor mis-steps as long as overall product quality is maintained.  The mods and admins and there apologists are attempting to sweep this under the rug.  There has not been a coherent communication to  the 10 million users that THE DATABASE IS SECURE.

• Why should we as users continue to buy games - if something like this happens?
  • Why should we as users have faith? Considering no formal communication of the issue on the oculusvr site?
  • Are the mods/admins/pr people held accountable?
  • It took a span of 8 hours for the community manager to post something semi official after a tweet from metaquest help account.
  • How can users better protect themselves from this database bug/deletion
  • Can users put in safeguards?
  • Why hasn't there been true root cause analysis?

PITTCANNA
Visionary

was going to take a step back, but the face of oculus right now has HUGE BLACK MARK.  I just don't get how you take their side?  A database of 10 million users is actually at risk, over this huge glaring issue.  If we have apps/dlc/ and all oculus information linked to a database and something like this happens, and you not taken back, you are just delusional.  Real questions need to be answered and they are not.

• Why was it select users? What did they have in common?
  • How is this going to be prevented?
  • What are the safe guards put in place by oculus?
  • What can customers do to protect there library?
  • Are all the other accounts ok?
  • Has there been a security breach?

My current library stands 1407.51 about 70 (titles/dlc/bundles) and quest 1 and quest 2

I am paranoid.  

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

I think you both have valid points. One post does not exclude the other.

I am hopeful that the list of questions you just posted was also asked in one of their meetings.

Being "paranoid" when you've financially invested in the product library is OK. I have some money tied into my account as well.

I am not bandwagon'ing anything. I also have a right to be concerned as I am also a paying customer. I don't understand why you came down on me like that. I do try to keep an open mind and I agree that you seem to have taken a "side". Talking about how you saw worse outages does not excuse their lack of transparency. Not at all.

Also, they might have posted more details on other social media platform, but I read what's in this forum/community and try to contribute here as well. I don't read twitter and won't hunt for the facebook page for urgent announcements. Is the issue detailed on this forum? I must have missed it?

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, I appreciate the feedback and will consider your criticism. Moderation is not easy and the rules help us make fair determinations when it comes to things like deleting duplicate posts and removing toxic members from the community. It would make this community a significantly better place if we could all follow them, so please do consider those rules when posting.

As to the current outage, there's a pinned post up on our support board with the latest information, along with a separate discussion thread so that people can talk about it, while not losing our official messaging on it. This is the first time we've tried separating out the two, and I think it's a good practice we'll follow in the future. I'm also working on some other options, like building a banner for the community like the one on the support site for just this sort of outage.

The most recent update on that thread is:
"While the majority of account issues are now resolved, some users created or linked different accounts while their original one was unavailable and may still be having issues. The team is working on a solution and will be contacting those users to advise them on how to move forward."

There's a lot of information in that post which has more accurate information than you'll see in the discussion thread from other users. If it helps give you any comfort, what you're seeing in discussion is mostly people who "...created or linked different accounts while their original one was unavailable..." If they can't see their games, history, friends, than they are most likely logged in to a different account that was either created or found during the original outage. Their old account has been restored, but they might not have access to it, since the login process linked them to their new account. You've seen examples of this in the thread as well, where people can search their username and see two accounts. The engineering team is currently working on a solution for them, and we'll be directly contacting everyone that is still having issues. 

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.