cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont worry rift s is not dead yet!

inovator
Consultant
The quest will not be as good on PC because  of latency and will not look as good because of compression due to the USB connection. It will be interesting to hear the reviews of how big of a difference. A 90 refresh rate was considered but was not done because the FCC would have to recertify it.  I have both the rift and the quest so I guess I'll stick with using both for a bit. Wi fi wirless connection was considered but it was felt quality could not be a given. I was a bit disappointed about the PC quality spoken of but over time maybe it will go 100% the other way. Oculus always strives to improve.
44 REPLIES 44

ShocksVR
Superstar
Rift S still has it's place.  I think Oculus may need to rethink their pricing strategy, as by comparison Quest looks like the much better deal.
But Oculus has been very open about the limitations of the Oculus Link. I think the best course of action is to wait for Link to drop before going all in on Quest.

Even one of the Link devs agree, Quest will not be replacing the Rift S:

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I saw a link in these forums to an interview that said Oculus Quest hooked up to the PC looked really close to a Rift -S. Now you have to ask yourself this question. If it is very close to looking like a Rift S and is also going to get a lot more features. Then would you still pay £399 for a Rift S or £399 for an Oculus Quest? My choice by far would be to purchase the Oculus Quest if the article I read was correct.
I predicted they wouldn't have a lot to say about PC -VR and it would be more about Oculus Quest, but given Oculus Quest can now connect to PC, it means they did talk about PC -VR when talking about Oculus Quest 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

inovator said:

The quest will not be as good on PC because  of latency and will not look as good because of compression due to the USB connection. It will be interesting to hear the reviews of how big of a difference. A 90 refresh rate was considered but was not done because the FCC would have to recertify it.  I have both the rift and the quest so I guess I'll stick with using both for a bit. Wi fi wirless connection was considered but it was felt quality could not be a given. I was a bit disappointed about the PC quality spoken of but over time maybe it will go 100% the other way. Oculus always strives to improve.

I think this first iteration by using Link and being able to hook up to PC will be a good first start, albeit will certainly have some rough around the edges. Along with the way cool hand/finger tracking that will be coming.  I have no doubt Rift S will still have better experience - for now. Likely why Oculus decided to team up with Lenovo to produce it for a while, whilst continuing development on their vision for a Quest like overall device.

I have a feeling the next iteration of Quest though, whenever it comes,  might be a very big deal. 

inovator
Consultant

RedRizla said:

I saw a link in these forums to an interview that said Oculus Quest hooked up to the PC looked really close to a Rift -S. Now you have to ask yourself this question. If it is very close to looking like a Rift S and is also going to get a lot more features. Then would you still pay £399 for a Rift S or £399 for an Oculus Quest? My choice by far would be to purchase the Oculus Quest if the article I saw was correct.
I predicted they wouldn't have a lot to say about PC -VR and it would be more about Oculus Quest, but given Oculus Quest can now connect to PC-VR, they were taliking about PC -VR when talking about Oculus Quest 😄

If it is really close than over time you may not see a difference. Then we can say final words on the rift s behalf. Quest and s tracking greatly improved as an example. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Facebook has made a public statement to help address all the premature hyperbole.

We started with the Quest platform first – and we’re going to listen to the feedback from Quest and will look at tackling the technical challenges of bringing it to other devices.

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Facebook has made a public statement to help address all the premature hyperbole.

We started with the Quest platform first – and we’re going to listen to the feedback from Quest and will look at tackling the technical challenges of bringing it to other devices.

Interesting. I would believe more in their 2nd possible reason as the quest is a potentially a bigger market so it makes more sense to focus on that 1st.

Kapt-Krunch
Protege
Edited : reading article now, thanks! 

Yep, we got Zucked! I say that in jest, im still thoroughly enjoying my Rift S and plan on doing the same for a good while. 
I7-9700k - 32 GB Corsair Pro - RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra - Samsung Evo SSD - Oculus Rift S

I like pinacoladas and getting caught in the rain!

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I agree it definitely looks like riftS will still be the premium oculus PCVR experience.... But for quest users this is amazing, also for those who are pondering which device to buy now have decent options depending on use case.

It is the future which excited me however. If they get the software nailed now using the quest. Quest 2 is bound to be usb3.1 (double the bandwidth) or maybe even USB4  8x the bandwidth) which will solve any data transfer issues.
USB 4 is out I believe end of this year. That would mean an expansion card for a lot of folks I guess but price depending may not be a big deal esp if it has 3.1 compatibility mode
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
The biggest reason to get a Quest over a Rift-S...Beat Saber 360 mode...it's going to be a Quest exclusive. That's going to sell a lot more Quests because of it.