cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would recommend a Vive for Roomscale, Tired of USB issues, Tired of HMD disconnects...

Maxxgold
Rising Star
  Ok, I said it. You know a lot of you are already thinking it. Especially if you paid for the 3rd sensor.

The USB nightmares are just ridiculous. I purchased the Inateck card and bought all the recommended cables, and guess what? I have daily issues with sensors cutting out, sound cutting out, and the HMD cutting out.

I can change ports, and enable and disable playback sound, and get everything working, and I can get in long play sessions without any issues, but I'm thinking there just shouldn't be this many issues. Especially when I can go visit my friend and play games on the VIVE with ZERO issues. 

I'm not selling my Rift, I love it, but if I were to recommend room-scale to someone, there is no way I could tell someone to buy a Rift. I'm tech savvy, so I can deal with it. I feel terrible for those people who aren't tech savvy, and they spent close to one thousand dollars, to get shit on.

I finally decided this when my friend told me he spent 110 dollars on this USB card that has separate processors for each USB-port. I was thinking " hey I'll pick up this 110 dollar USB card to solve my USB problems." Then I came to my senses and was like, " why the hell should I spend another 110 dollars!!!"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPUHO10/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=296R0JAB3VFJH&col...

TLDR: if you want room-scale, save yourself time and money and buy a Vive. If you want room-scale and you buy a Rift, even with approved products, you will be constantly having issues.
45 REPLIES 45

ScrottBox
Explorer
Hmm, I can't say I've experienced those issues yet, the only thing that I get is a warning that 2 of my sensors have poor tracking (I'm assuming its the USB extension cables as the one that doesn't use one is sweet, will be changing them out soon) The only time I find I have issues is if I put my computer to sleep. All I do is just do a full reboot and away it goes again.

Maxxgold
Rising Star

Hmm, I can't say I've experienced those issues yet, the only thing that I get is a warning that 2 of my sensors have poor tracking (I'm assuming its the USB extension cables as the one that doesn't use one is sweet, will be changing them out soon) The only time I find I have issues is if I put my computer to sleep. All I do is just do a full reboot and away it goes again.

Yeah, everyone isn't having major issues, but if you read through the daily posts here and on Reddit, it's a huge problem. I'm just suggesting to people who want room-scale, and you don't want the possibility of having issues, the Vive would be the way to go.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Have you hooked up a Vive to your current PC?

Maxxgold
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Please go troll somewhere else, and to the mod who deleted my post, what a loser. Zenbane is clearly not promoting this thread with anything constructive. He is doing what he normally does. You ban the guy, and then let him continue on with his classless tactics. Priceless!

edmg
Trustee
Zenbane is presumably asking whether you've tried a Vive on your PC and whether it actually works better. Because my Rift tracks about as well as the Vive did.

Yes, if someone only wanted to play roomscale games, I'd suggest they look at the Vive, but there's no way I'd go back to mine after a few days playing the same games in the Rift with a much more comfortable headset with a much better display. H3VR, for example, is night-and-day between the Rift and Vive, due to the Vive's blurry image as soon as you look outside the sweet spot.

Pretty much the only issue I have, other than needing to reboot the Touch controllers some times when they don't turn on, is that there's one corner where I can block the controller from all the sensors if I hold it close to my body when it's simulating a rifle. There's really nothing I can do about that other than install yet another sensor.

Edit: oh, yeah, and I accidentally put my coffee cup in front of the sensor on my desk last night, which didn't really help :).

jayhawk
Superstar

Maxxgold said:

Zenbane said:

Please go troll somewhere else, and to the mod who deleted my post, what a loser. Zenbane is clearly not promoting this thread with anything constructive. He is doing what he normally does. You ban the guy, and then let him continue on with his classless tactics. Priceless!

Wow really? lol. You ok man?

Maxxgold
Rising Star

jayhawk said:

Maxxgold said:

Zenbane said:

Wow really? lol. You ok man?

Yeah, I'm ok, what about you? If you don't have anything positive to say. Like your buddy Zanbane then go troll somewhere else.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Maxxgold said:

Zenbane said:

I asked a perfectly reasonable question. You are recommending the Vive for room-scale and I'm asking if you have tried it on your PC. That makes me a "troll" ??

The only reason I am not putting you in your place right now is because I promised @cybereality I'd give a more valiant effort.

I will keep it on topic: if you are telling people that you prefer the Vive for room-scale based on issues with your current PC, then you should probably attempt using the Vive on your current PC.

Maxxgold
Rising Star

edmg said:

Zenbane is presumably asking whether you've tried a Vive on your PC and whether it actually works better. Because my Rift tracks about as well as the Vive did.

Yes, if someone only wanted to play roomscale games, I'd suggest they look at the Vive, but there's no way I'd go back to mine after a few days playing the same games in the Rift with a much more comfortable headset with a much better display. H3VR, for example, is night-and-day between the Rift and Vive, due to the Vive's blurry image as soon as you look outside the sweet spot.

Pretty much the only issue I have, other than needing to reboot the Touch controllers some times when they don't turn on, is that there's one corner where I can block the controller from all the sensors if I hold it close to my body when it's simulating a rifle. There's really nothing I can do about that other than install yet another sensor.

Edit: oh, yeah, and I accidentally put my coffee cup in front of the sensor on my desk last night, which didn't really help :).

No, what he is saying, is that does my pc also have issue if I use it with a Vive. So he is slyly saying my PC is the problem. You guys put up with him so much,that you can't even see what it is he does. Anyways, When it works, my tracking is flawless.