cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta referral program does NOT work properly, costing me lost

Anonymous
Not applicable

My referral links show 25% off when I check them.  I know the 3 paid referral limit but I am getting people tell me in some cases that my referral limit was reached when they haven't been.  Someone asked for one app on facebook today and I gave my link.  They wrote back it said limit reached.  There are no outstanding cases of people who took that app and haven't bought it yet.  Basically Meta's referral system fails and I (and others) lose out.  Oh yes, I forgot, they recently told me they PURPOSELY mess up people's accounts at random.  Not verbatim. They make our referral links not work if we are part of that group they randomly chose. So it makes ME look like I tried to get someone to buy through me when my limit is used AND costs me referral credits.  I am fed up with it.  What type of company has a referral program and makes it that it doesn't always work?  I want the credits I lost. They have done this to me before, a week once, 2 weeks another time etc.

19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Costing me lost Meta store credits got cutoff from the subject line

Bear in mind the referral program is for friends and family. The rules state that referrals must not be given to strangers, for example on review sites or via any mass communication... Reddit... group emails... etc

I have a friend who helps run a Facebook group for Quest users and they have a rule not to share referrals on there for this reason.

I don't know what checks Meta do but it sounds like they may carry out random checks if they see behaviour that indicates that referrals are being done outside of the intended use.

I also usually remove referral links when they occasionally get posted on this forum if I see them, I don't want any forum members to run into problems with their account, Meta could choose to permanently remove them from the referral program.

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable

IF that rule exists, why are there countless groups set up for referrals?  I was not aware of such a rule.  It makes no sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just read all the rules and the rule you put does not show up in what I read.  Facebook, Reddit and other sites have groups dedicated to referral links.  Would Mark Zucherberg let Facebook have such groups if it went against Meta's rules?  I doubt it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I forgot something in my last reply.  I wrote support about a person asking for a referral for an app and even sent a printscreen showing that referral from a Facebook group. IF you are correct, which goes against all I read, how come support didn't turn around and say sorry that group isn't allowed or anything at all to me about it not being allowed?  They only addressed the fact my referral showed it reached it's limit even though it did not.

The person in support won't know whether any given Facebook group consists of genuine friends or not and whatever triggered the cancelling of the referral is likely to be based on a pattern rather than specifics.

I don't know what you've read but the important thing to read are Meta's terms and conditions, anything else is just rumour. I've posted a few times on the forum about this and I'll edit this post to include a direct link to the T&C's again here.

If you've gained several discounts from referring strangers, I'd count that as a win and leave it there. I'm just advising people to read the rules and take care, as I say, I don't want anyone to have problems with their accounts.

Edit: here's the link to the app referral Ts & Cs, the relevant rule for this thread is in the second paragraph of the 'General Programme Rules' half way down the page: https://www.meta.com/gb/legal/quest/app-referrals/ 

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

IF that rule exists, why are there countless groups set up for referrals? I was not aware of such a rule. It makes no sense.

Maybe that's exactly why referrals are limited now.
The idea is to refer personal friends.
Instead of using them like that, they have been spamed everywhere .....it shouldn't be like that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the reality is they are.  I actually don't agree that it should just be to friends. Why shouldn't others benefit? I am older than most who play VR so my friends don't own the Quest.  Does that mean I shouldn't save on apps or be able to earn Meta store credits?  Sorry but it should be the way it is.  That said, again my app did NOT reach the limit and yet said it did and I lost out on a credit and Meta didn't give me my lost credit.  

I didn't say it has to be friends from your real life.

It's absolut ok if you refer friends you met in vr.

It's just not ok to post referral links everywhere so anyone can use them.