cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony next-gen PlayStation 5 VR hmd (PSVR2) - new awesome high-end VR games available!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

playstation-vr-2-logo.jpg

EDIT: See the new specs here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/sony-playstation-vr-2-announcement-psvr-2-specs-field-of-view/

Original post:

Close to breaking news - if true - I just love oled so much more than LCD (well at least if oled gets similar ultra-low SDE like modern lcd panels):

"One important holdout remains: Sony Group Corp. plans to use Samsung Display Co. OLED panels in its next-generation PlayStation VR goggles, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The Japanese console giant sold more than 5 million units of the original PS VR, launched in 2016, and is aiming to release the successor in the holiday period next year, the people said, asking not to be named discussing internal plans."

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-16/fading-iphone-lcd-screen-maker-pivots-to-virtual-...

Depending on the panel, lcd could still have more subpixels and higher res (like Vive Pro 2) - there're tons of things we don't know yet. And Sony hasn't confirmed anything. 

Red arrow marks the arrival (first impact) of PSVR2 oled 🙂

Unavngivet.jpg

Spoiler
RuneSR2_0-1645546502936.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

182 REPLIES 182

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Seems we'll have to wait quite some time - PSVR2 might not be here before Christmas 2022:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2021/06/sonys-playstation-5-vr-headset-reportedly-arriving-holiday-2022/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Having used both Quest 2 (LC) and Vive Pro (OLED) for PCVR, I can confirm that the graphical quality difference isn't noticeable. Which is probably why we need to resort to charts and graphs to create a more theorycrafted difference versus relying on the human eye.

Not to mention that Quest 2 has less Glare and SDE than both the Vive and Index.

As a VR Enthusiast, I am more interested in the VR experiences Sony is committed to creating. I could care less about the poly count.

I may be wierd in preferring LCD in a headset. It seems to me like the LED backlight frequency of LCD in the Rift-S is independent of the refresh rate or has no frequency which i find more confortable on the eyes.

My VR tends to be bright environments though such as Medium, racing/flight sims or Fallout or YouTube/Netflix when away from home with a Quest. Also, the colours, at least on the Quest OLED are a tad too bright for me. I'm guessing if i was more into space sims, or some other dark game, i'd change my mind.

Maybe if the OLED was 200hz or there abouts and the headset had colour/contrast adjustments, that would be perfect for me.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Great news, i was hoping Sony would stick with the superior Oled and it seems my hopes are coming to fruition, so this will be a day one buy for me when it comes out, so i better start hourding some more PSVR games until the PSVR II is released, can't wait now. 🙂

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

@OmegaM4N wrote:

Great news, i was hoping Sony would stick with the superior Oled 

It's hard to call OLED superior when it has worse SDE and Glare. There's pros and cons to both, neither is truly superior. Although I think when an Oculus competitor does "anything," the allure to call it "superior" as an auto-reply is enticing lol

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Interesting that the Christmas 2022 date comes up. I remember that claim that PSVR was going to also be a "Christmas release" and then it surprised the market.

Thanks for sharing this news having tried the latest generation of OLED units I can see Sony's thinking on this move - there is also the power saving issue to consider. I wonder if we will see a leaked platform for CES'22?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah Sony is pretty savvy. Certainly not their first rodeo.

Yeap, Sony's PSVR II with oled is going to be something very special, and if the rumours are true we might see it also become big on the PCVR scene if that one cable inside out tracking is true, that would mean just like the PSVR now which can be used on on the PC for 3DOF, the PSVR II would allow full 6DOF when connected to a PC because it uses inside out tracking, so lots of stuff to look forward to. 🙂

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

I've long had the suspicion that No Man's Sky VR was fine tuned for PSVR (which uses oled), and since I don't have the Index hmd connected, yesterday for the first time I tried No Man's Sky using the CV1. It was a night and day difference or close - it looked so extremely much better than lcd. Lcd is quite blurry and shows all shortcomings in that game, while Rift CV1 provides the perfect makeup. 

Surely that does not mean oled is king, at least not CV1 and Vive oled, where the SDE is massive - also games designed for lcd look awesome - like Alyx, Boneworks and The Room VR. But about 90+ % of my games aren't designed for lcd, but for oled. I have tons of games - also with TAA - where lcd becomes very blurry, and I do hope that Sony can make some magic with the PSVR2. 

No one in their right mind would choose a 85" 4k 120Hz lcd tv, if you could get a 85" 4k 120Hz oled tv for the same price, right? 😎 😉