cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
Level 15
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,954 REPLIES 2,954

Shadowmask72
Level 15
The Lab plays very nice in 120Hz looks pretty cool as well. I tried to shoot that box down from the rafters but my single basestation and seated area wouldn't allow me to get a decent shot.

Question: Is it worth opting in to the Steam VR beta. I have refrained for some time now, is it worth it now though?

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Level 15

The Lab plays very nice in 120Hz looks pretty cool as well. I tried to shoot that box down from the rafters but my single basestation and seated area wouldn't allow me to get a decent shot.

Question: Is it worth opting in to the Steam VR beta. I have refrained for some time now, is it worth it now though?

I got a lot more firmware when I was using the beta - didn't feel safe - I got out because you didn't use it 😉 Not sure I'm going into the fire again...

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

oldgamergazza
Level 5

RuneSR2 said:

One of the devs behind Until You Fall - maybe by slip of the tongue - mentioned that Index support will be added to the game before the "next big platform push" in early October.
This has led to some speculation about what the dev meant by "next big platform push" - and it's no secret that Valve has been making promises and now there're just 4 months left of the year. I'll keep holding my breath 😉

42aodluul4kr.jpg

BTW, also SteamVR beta 1.7.11 just arrived allowing column correction to be set to -10 (before -5 was max), and users on Reddit Valve Index have stated that this causes Index to be completely free of SDE. This indicates that apart from the glare, Index is now close to perfection - of course within the limits of the res and sound system. Lately it seems that users have gotten fully working Knuckles, maybe the Index really is ready for prime time - and then October might indeed be a great month for the next big push, we'll see.

Like one CV1 user who upgraded to Index wrote, even if he was really happy for the Index, he wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I fully agree - Index is more complicated than Rift(-S). Persons who just want to pick up the HMD and experience VR as easily as possible might be much better off using Rift-S. For enthusiast who don't mind changing settings and spending time getting several small - but important - settings optimally set up, Index may have little competition - and then there's the price to consider too. Last evening I spent some time going from CV1 to Index and back, and even in games like Galaxy Forces VR, where I previously found CV1 ss 2.0 quite sharp, the distance to Index SteamVR ss 200% was simply massive - and both HMDs worked in solid 90 fps on my system. But CV1 is much easier to use - and faster to start up. And no matter what you choose, it seems that Valve will offer whatever they plan to release to all kinds of PCVR HMDs.

Where s the Column setting?

RuneSR2
Level 15

RuneSR2 said:

One of the devs behind Until You Fall - maybe by slip of the tongue - mentioned that Index support will be added to the game before the "next big platform push" in early October.
This has led to some speculation about what the dev meant by "next big platform push" - and it's no secret that Valve has been making promises and now there're just 4 months left of the year. I'll keep holding my breath 😉

42aodluul4kr.jpg

BTW, also SteamVR beta 1.7.11 just arrived allowing column correction to be set to -10 (before -5 was max), and users on Reddit Valve Index have stated that this causes Index to be completely free of SDE. This indicates that apart from the glare, Index is now close to perfection - of course within the limits of the res and sound system. Lately it seems that users have gotten fully working Knuckles, maybe the Index really is ready for prime time - and then October might indeed be a great month for the next big push, we'll see.

Like one CV1 user who upgraded to Index wrote, even if he was really happy for the Index, he wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I fully agree - Index is more complicated than Rift(-S). Persons who just want to pick up the HMD and experience VR as easily as possible might be much better off using Rift-S. For enthusiast who don't mind changing settings and spending time getting several small - but important - settings optimally set up, Index may have little competition - and then there's the price to consider too. Last evening I spent some time going from CV1 to Index and back, and even in games like Galaxy Forces VR, where I previously found CV1 ss 2.0 quite sharp, the distance to Index SteamVR ss 200% was simply massive - and both HMDs worked in solid 90 fps on my system. But CV1 is much easier to use - and faster to start up. And no matter what you choose, it seems that Valve will offer whatever they plan to release to all kinds of PCVR HMDs.

Controls are available in-headset under Display Settings -> Advanced, but you have to use the SteamVR Beta version.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

RuneSR2
Level 15
The new hands in The Lab are awesome, tons of detail, but 3.4GB for hands seem quite a lot. I didn't notice a lot of new stuff, but of course getting all those new toys to play with is new, although no new locations have been added. You can throw the planets into the sun and they don't bounce back, but explode. Love to defend the castle with the bow. Didn't notice better performance, got solid 90 fps before, got solid 90 fps now 😉 That said, apart from no free locomotion The Lab now feels complete, those hands make The Lab probably just as great an intro to VR as First Contact.

Hmm, maybe I spent too much time in The Lab yesterday, today it's Saturday, maybe I should get out more, maybe do some whitewater kayaking...  o:)

https://youtu.be/SwUpAlmjRgo

RuneSR2
Level 15
Seems like some have been worrying about the Index thermals - like idle:

zdn99cfzk55c.jpg

One thing I've noticed is that using glasses they never get foggy using the Index, while using Rift CV1 I often had to wait several minutes before everything heated up and my glasses weren't foggy. And Index never felt hot at all, in fact it doesn't feel any hotter than CV1 when using it - and I haven't removed the face plate from the Index. 

Another thing - just re-read the review on The Verge and couldn't help thinking that maybe I should place the Index head strap lower than I'm doing now - at least she seems to have it quite low - than again, haven't taken photos of me wearing the hmd, but the speakers can't reach my ears like shown here:

xxsx9augsjtt.jpg

Maybe she just got a smaller head... 

And some semi-sexy shots, it's Saturday  😉

qs045atzar6p.jpg
vhj02fed0jxe.jpg

RedRizla
Level 15
@RuneSR2 - Are you using revive or something to play your Oculus games and is it simple to use?

RuneSR2
Level 15

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Are you using revive or something to play your Oculus games and is it simple to use?

Yes, very simple. 

oldgamergazza
Level 5

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

42aodluul4kr.jpg

Controls are available in-headset under Display Settings -> Advanced, but you have to use the SteamVR Beta version.

Thanks, that’s why I can’t find it, I don’t have any controllers, I use it for sim racing:( guess there are no other way of reaching this setting?

RuneSR2
Level 15

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

42aodluul4kr.jpg

Thanks, that’s why I can’t find it, I don’t have any controllers, I use it for sim racing:( guess there are no other way of reaching this setting?

I think you can just use the mouse connected to your rig. Just start up SteamVR and you can see something like this on your desktop:

Image result for steamvr controllers hmd icon

Now just press "SteamVR" using the mouse and get access to the settings, like:

wzi4zfqxb54b.png

The above pictures are from older versions of SteamVR, and you need the latest SteamVR Beta version. I don't recommend using the Beta unless you're very sure of what you're doing - also the Beta may expose you to more firmware upgrades which may not necessarily be a good thing. 
If you really need column correction and can't wait, of course SteamVR Beta can be awesome. Personally I don't mind waiting for a more thoroughly tested version.