cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woes of a VR Enthusiast

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Yeah, I know my problems are a laugh riot considering how bad other people are. I have my health, a home, food to eat, and an Oculus Quest. What do I have to complain about, right? It's that Room Scale vr requires so dang much space. 🙂 I've rearranged my living room a few times now trying to find the perfect layout that works with VR. And with my thinking of buying a new computer desk (my old one died when I moved, and I'm using my dining table for a computer desk right now). But this lead me to a mini-panic over where the frell I'd put my table until I can get rid of it. This culminated with me opening up MS Paint, grabbing my tape measure, and painstakingly recreating my apartment in MS Paint. Oh, and creating silhouettes of my furniture for use in planning things. Oh yeah, and a 6.5 foot by 6.5 foot (scale) outline for the VR play space since that's the minimum space needed for Room Scale.

As it turns out, I have more room in my living room then I thought I did. While tinkering with furniture layouts I realized that if I got rid of the table and was willing to move my chair, I could have a play space that's 13 foot x 10 foot. As it is, I can easily get a 6.5x6.5 foot playspace even with keeping the table and not moving the chair. And it has plenty of space to help prevent disasters such as running into the TV. Or I could leave my table where it is and set up the desk in the living room area so I can do Oculus (desktop) and Steam room scale via Oculus Link. But... ARGH, too many options!

Yeah, I know... My problems are very much First World issues and ultimately trivial. Still, anyone else found they had to create a CAD mock-up of their home to plan out their VR play space?
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.
8 REPLIES 8

Mushroomies
Heroic Explorer

Pixie40 said:

Yeah, I know my problems are a laugh riot considering how bad other people are. I have my health, a home, food to eat, and an Oculus Quest. What do I have to complain about, right? It's that Room Scale vr requires so dang much space. 🙂 I've rearranged my living room a few times now trying to find the perfect layout that works with VR. And with my thinking of buying a new computer desk (my old one died when I moved, and I'm using my dining table for a computer desk right now). But this lead me to a mini-panic over where the frell I'd put my table until I can get rid of it. This culminated with me opening up MS Paint, grabbing my tape measure, and painstakingly recreating my apartment in MS Paint. Oh, and creating silhouettes of my furniture for use in planning things. Oh yeah, and a 6.5 foot by 6.5 foot (scale) outline for the VR play space since that's the minimum space needed for Room Scale.

As it turns out, I have more room in my living room then I thought I did. While tinkering with furniture layouts I realized that if I got rid of the table and was willing to move my chair, I could have a play space that's 13 foot x 10 foot. As it is, I can easily get a 6.5x6.5 foot playspace even with keeping the table and not moving the chair. And it has plenty of space to help prevent disasters such as running into the TV. Or I could leave my table where it is and set up the desk in the living room area so I can do Oculus (desktop) and Steam room scale via Oculus Link. But... ARGH, too many options!

Yeah, I know... My problems are very much First World issues and ultimately trivial. Still, anyone else found they had to create a CAD mock-up of their home to plan out their VR play space?

Oh you have no idea, I live in a Trailer. You just learn to live with it and memorize the furniture location like someone blind would do

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
A trailer?! And you found enough space for room scale?! Man, you must have devoted a room just to that then. Most trailers are kind of cramped. Especially if you have any furniture. 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Just get a Quest. You can play outside. Preferably away from direct sunglight to protect the lenses. But plenty of people post pics of themselves playing VR with Quest outdoors. And you can keep your PC by the window if you're streaming PCVR.
😉

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
I have a Quest. Still need sizable space. Also, I'm not crazy enough to risk my HMD getting damaged by the sun... or getting blindsided by thieves or vehicles. My setup is okay right now, but I have been fiddling with CAD mockups today to figure out a furnature layout for once I order an L shaped computer desk. I had a different, smaller, desk bookmarked to buy. Then I got a 50 inch TV and discovered it doesn't fit on my entertainment center so it became a computer monitor. Thus I had to rethink which desk to buy.
*shrugs*
Again, first world problems, I know.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Well you could just use it in your backyard. Hopefully you don't have a problem with thieves and vehicles just outside your back door! That aint normal first world problems.
😮

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Apartment complex, so no back yard. There is a parking lot however, which can and does have traffic periodically throughout the day. And this isn't exactly the best neighborhood either. Two and a half blocks away for example is an apartment complex that routinely has 3 or 4 apartments condemned due to being meth labs. I know this because I use to live there.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Ah! That's tough, buddy. I've been there. While today I may have the degrees and the certs with the nice salary and home, growing up I was quite poor; and raised in some rough neighborhoods.

I've had lots of things stolen. Including a bike and my original Atari 2600. Which was retrieved when the burglars dropped it as they ran from my neighbors who caught them coming out of my house.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
If I had a house, I'd likely have a room I could dedicate solely to VR games. As it is, my living room is used for my Quest, PSVR, Wii, and 360 Kinect games. Not to mention my other console games. 🙂
I am strongly considering donating or otherwise getting rid of my living room chair. It's a nice and comfortable chair. But it's not exactly mobile. Not to mention a wheeled computer chair is good enough usually. Not to mention easier to move out of the way. Why my mom thought I needed three such chairs, let alone have the room for them, I don't know.