cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Evil of Residence

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

So, I finally had the money to pick up RE4 VR today. I expected I'd do absolutely horrible since I don't have particularly good aim. Oh sure, it's serviceable for close quarters engagements or if I can take my time to line up a shot. But the various VR shooters I've played have shown me I'm horrible at aiming a virtual firearm. And having to manually reload then rack the slide of a weapon? I'm prone to fumbling the clip, dropping the gun, and otherwise making a fool of myself. Thank you Half-Life Alyx for getting me killed while struggling to reload a shotgun in a panic.

Even so, I found myself doing pretty good. Granted, my first play through is on Easy because I AM bad at aiming. But it's not like RE4 cares what your difficulty is, usually. Regardless of the setting, the game gets harder when you're doing well. So here I was (mostly) happily working my way through the campaign. I'd been doing pretty decent with ammo conservation. It was after finishing the first "protect the girl while she turns cranks" room in the castle that it suddenly hit me... I've mostly been shooting from the hip the entire time, and still somewhat regularly landed precision shots.

Of course, it also hit me that I'd been doing well enough that the crossbow snipers had spawned in the great hall. Or rather, two crossbow bolts hit me, letting me know the snipers were there.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.
4 REPLIES 4

RoastPork
Retired Support

That's quite the wild ride! 

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Yeah it is. I think VR has become my favorite way to play RE4. While it's a good game, the somewhat clunky controls of the console release (PS2, bought at release) always make me reluctant to replay. That said, by the gods is the section where you play as Ashley terrifying in VR. I'm currently just before you start facing regenerators. Had to take a break due to exhaustion (I'd been up 20+ hours) and being sore. Well, that and the fact that I'm kind of terrified of regenerators.

In my original playthrough of RE4 I couldn't find the  thermal scope. Which meant that my only real hope for killing regenerators was "shotgun spam and pray". Which meant that by the time I reached the section where you're fighting an iron maiden after rescuing Ashley I had almost no shotgun ammo left. This left me with "run away" as the only real option since I didn't have enough ammo to fight it.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Okay, second play through. This time on Normal difficult. How hard can it be

😟

Doing pretty well, if I do say so myself. Got rather light on shotgun shells for a while due to over relying on the shotty for clearing tougher areas of the castle. Then almost ran out of rifle ammo, again due to over reliance with difficult rooms. By the time I found myself in the castle sewers and heading to the mine I had 3 rifle bullets and no shotgun shells left at chapter end.

I managed to recover from that via judicious use of ladders and knifing enemies as they climb up said ladder. Thankfully nearly every enemy dropped shotgun or rifle bullets. Still had a little over a hundred handgun bullets too. Then I got to the magma room where you fight two gigante at once. I looked at my ammunition supplies, thought back to the one I killed after the house defense battle, and said "I can kill both and get the rewards for both!"

😱

Big mistake. I ended up blowing through all my shotgun ammo, all my handgun ammo, all my magnum ammo, and wound up having to dance in and out of melee range of the second gigante because I didn't dare use my rifle on the sucker, so was down to fighting it with just the knife. Well, crap. Still, I was managing to pull it off. Right up until I got the "your headset is low on power" message due to it being down to 8%.

O.o

So now I'm going to have to play that chapter again from the beginning. Guess this time around I'll use the trap to kill one of the gigante, because I definitely don't have the ammunition to kill both of them.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

On my 4th play through now, 3rd one on Normal difficulty. And here are some observations.

Having an RPG-7 with infinite ammunition is just a tad broken. I managed to get it late in my 2nd Normal play through.

Going into a new game with fully upgraded end-game weaponry is also just a tad broken. Especially when it's fully upgraded kit unlocked on your 2nd play through like the Striker shotgun and Killer 7 magnum.

Is it just me, or does the Red 9's exclusive upgrade depend on what play through you're on? When I bought it in my first run on both Easy and Normal it raised the Red 9's damage rating to 5.0, but when I sold and rebought the Red-9 on my 3rd normal difficulty run the Exclusive upgrade raised the damage value to 6.5 for some reason. I may have to test this on a 4th run.

Mercenaries mode still isn't that fun to me. Or rather, it's kind of fun but too difficult to get more then 2 to 3 stars on most maps or challenges I've played so far.

I really wish that the Separate Ways campaign had been included. Maybe it'll come in a future update? But I doubt it since they moved the rewards from that campaign into the mercenaries mode.