Skip to main content
New Participant
July 28, 2013
Question

Possibility of Releasing a 1080p Dev Kit (2.0)

Since the Oculus team have been demoing the 1080p version, I am wondering if they have plans to release these for pre-order?

I on behalf of many others have hold-off on pre-ordering the Devkit 1.0 due to the reported screen door effect and that it is extremely less pronounced on the 1080p version.

The increased resolution will ofcourse help the development of higher definition games that require you to read text of the User Interface (UI). Anything ranging from RPGs that have a hovering health bar and items of to the side, to first person shooters that have mini-maps hovering.
Basically I am saying that for development of great UI I think the 1080p would be a godsend for developers.

So... any ideas if they plan on releasing it for pre-order?

    29 replies

    Up and Coming
    August 24, 2013
    There's no reason for a devkit with nothing more than a higher definition display. That's a waste of everything.
    Participant
    August 25, 2013
    As a developer, I'd be pretty happy if I could test on a final version of the Oculus Rift at least few weeks before the general availability as long as the changes are abstracted away through LibOVR. I do not see the point in another dev kit with just higher resolution. It would distract the Oculus Rift team from working on the real product for no real benefits.
    Up and Coming
    August 27, 2013
    Hi,

    I want to ask if new oculus dev kit 2.0 (1080p) or consumer version will be released in Q2+ 2014?
    I am asking because I really want to order Oculus Rift now and I dont know if I should wait or buy it now. Because dont want to buy it and realize that 1080p version will come out this year before christmas. Either I dont want to wait half a year.

    Thanks :)
    Up and Coming
    August 27, 2013
    I am starting to wonder if this is a troll thread. It was stated by no less than Palmer himself within the last week that will be no Dev Kit 2 sold and it is posted in this thread with confirmation link. Email responses have said the same thing.

    Reasons given

    1) No economic sense. It would not be feasible to tool up for both a dev kit 2 and a consumer rift. The HD prototypes are just that, prototypes as they move closer to what we all want; a consumer rift.

    2) Doing a dev kit 2 would actually get in the way of making a consumer kit and likely delay it as significant efforts to create and sell the DK2 would hamper efforts to produce the consumer version.

    Now that said. I am having difficulty myself waiting for the consumer version. I am tempted more every day to just get the dev kit. Eventually I may break down and just get it. But whatever I ultimately do, I know one thing. I don't want to do anything or be part of anything that slows down the consumer version which will be where this all really takes off.

    Palmer has said many times this is day 0 for VR. We all are impatiently waiting for day 1. But getting a DK2 will only push day 1 farther off.

    Make sense?
    Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com
    Up and Coming
    August 27, 2013
    Now that said. I am having difficulty myself waiting for the consumer version. I am tempted more every day to just get the dev kit. Eventually I may break down and just get it.


    The same here, if it will be released in Q4 2014 which is almost more than a year I am definetly buying dev kid no question, but if there is any sign they will release Something this year I will wait. So thats why I am asking when?
    Up and Coming
    August 30, 2013
    Calanar I recommend you just order a dev kit. I ordered a leap motion and a rift and they both arrived on the same day. The leap motion was played with for about half an hour and then uninstalled and put in a drawer. The rift however is immense fun and I get a great kick out of playing all the demos that people are making and showing it to people.
    Up and Coming
    September 1, 2013
    Please Oculus release a 1080p dev kit, it would take developing for the Rift to a whole new level
    Up and Coming
    September 1, 2013
    "ThreeDGames" wrote:
    Please Oculus release a 1080p dev kit, it would take developing for the Rift to a whole new level


    Don`t even dare release 1080p now that I ordered dev1 :)
    Up and Coming
    September 5, 2013
    I think it would take some steam from the consumer product if you could say been there, done that. So no, I don't expect it to happen. ;)
    “My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"
    Up and Coming
    September 11, 2013
    "wrymn" wrote:
    "ThreeDGames" wrote:
    Please Oculus release a 1080p dev kit, it would take developing for the Rift to a whole new level


    Don`t even dare release 1080p now that I ordered dev1 :)


    This.

    And I believe Oculus has released a statement somewhere that the DK2 which was previously on the roadmap will not be released, so the next release should be the consumer version somewhere in 2014 I guess.
    Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.