Skip to main content
New Participant
July 28, 2013
Question

Possibility of Releasing a 1080p Dev Kit (2.0)

Since the Oculus team have been demoing the 1080p version, I am wondering if they have plans to release these for pre-order?

I on behalf of many others have hold-off on pre-ordering the Devkit 1.0 due to the reported screen door effect and that it is extremely less pronounced on the 1080p version.

The increased resolution will ofcourse help the development of higher definition games that require you to read text of the User Interface (UI). Anything ranging from RPGs that have a hovering health bar and items of to the side, to first person shooters that have mini-maps hovering.
Basically I am saying that for development of great UI I think the 1080p would be a godsend for developers.

So... any ideas if they plan on releasing it for pre-order?

    29 replies

    Up and Coming
    September 11, 2013
    Someone working on a "Should I buy or should I wait" song?
    oculus poculus sims.ala.bin
    Up and Coming
    September 12, 2013
    "Marculus" wrote:
    Someone working on a "Should I buy or should I wait" song?

    I could also go for a "Is it DOA or is it late" song :cry:

    Lyrics:
    Should I buy or should I wait?
    Is it DOA or just late~
    All these troubles worry Nate
    And everyone assures it will be greaaat!
    So in the Dev team i have faith!.

    Well that was horrible :roll:
    Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
    Up and Coming
    September 14, 2013
    Most likely it wouldn't happen because the 1080p has already been showed at e3 2013. So most likely that would be a no.
    Reason for this being, is because the rift is coming out within the next few months (Which is going to be a super long 5 - 6 months) Because I'm literally hyped for the 1080p Oculus rift.
    VR Pilot!
    Participant
    September 15, 2013
    Then I hope the retail version will be out soon!
    ;)
    Up and Coming
    November 4, 2013
    Exactly what does a dev kit package have that would not be in the consumer package? No reason to make another dev kit. The developers can just use the consumer version to develop with, so long as the have access to the software tools.
    Up and Coming
    November 6, 2013
    At that point in time you may as well wait for the consumer version

    that was my logic in ordering the dev kit 1.0

    I'll use it until the consumer and that's that

    IF you haven't ordered yet... who knows, it's a loooong time to wait and not "that" much money to try out a Dev kit 1.0
    Ordered : November 2nd 2013 (November 3rd on my time) Receieved Processing mail : November 25th 2013 (November 26th on my time) Arrived : December 3rd 2013 Status : Enjoying it. Location : 東京 (Tokyo)
    Participant
    November 9, 2013
    But i still think because day said the consumer will be 1080p, and the same price, we can get on december order the new 1080p as a surprise gift for christmas. :)
    I will only know when it comes.
    Both way i will be happy, but happier with 1080p.
    :D
    Cheers!
    New Participant
    December 27, 2013
    I was just wondering if they are going to give the people that bought the Dev Kit the retail version free or if we will have to buy the retail version later? This is the closest post to my question so I thought I might just ask here.
    Up and Coming
    December 28, 2013
    "omnimon3000" wrote:
    Since the Oculus team have been demoing the 1080p version, I am wondering if they have plans to release these for pre-order?

    I on behalf of many others have hold-off on pre-ordering the Devkit 1.0 due to the reported screen door effect and that it is extremely less pronounced on the 1080p version.

    The increased resolution will ofcourse help the development of higher definition games that require you to read text of the User Interface (UI). Anything ranging from RPGs that have a hovering health bar and items of to the side, to first person shooters that have mini-maps hovering.
    Basically I am saying that for development of great UI I think the 1080p would be a godsend for developers.

    So... any ideas if they plan on releasing it for pre-order?


    I posted something similar to this a few months back (before I ordered my developer kit) and I'm guessing either early 2014 around summer. Because they said the HD version would only be out for a few months (right before they make the retail version) because they said the retail version would be out in fall/winter 2014.
    VR Pilot!